Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha gp1200r issues

hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem. Just bought my first ski after many years of dreaming, got a 2002 yamaha gp1200r. It has poor takeoff power and when at three quarter to full power the engine seems to surge.

+1
    We need a bunch more info. How many hours on it?
    The first thing that comes to mind is that the carbs most likely need to be gone through, cleaned and preferably rebuilt and updated...there is a sticky by Osidebill in the Yamaha section for that. Also has the cat been replaced with a d-plate? How is the jet pump?
    Tons of info on this board for a GPR...read read read and ask questions...but the more detailed info you can give the better the answers you will get.

+1
    Was the old gas drained out and fresh gas put in? Gas filter changed? What is the compression on each cylinder? Oil injector lines still connected and in good shape?

Just a word to prevent grief, lots of regret and big time expense. Do all the maintenance "now" before the motor leans out and goes kaboom. There are many stories about how someone was going to ride for a while and do things later and ended up with massive engine failure.

Motor has just under 150 hours, the compression is 125, 125 and 130. new filter, new gas new plugs. I have been told that the impellor needs replacing and this could be the cause of slow takeoff, but doesnt explain the surging at wot. All fuel lines and oil lines look to be in good order.
    Many thanks
    Warren

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabora1 View Post
    hopefully someone can shed some light on my problem. Just bought my first ski after many years of dreaming, got a 2002 yamaha gp1200r. It has poor takeoff power and when at three quarter to full power the engine seems to surge.
    Cabora1 - if this is a bone stock machine I would recommend you talk to Art at Jetworks Performance - I had the same problem (its inherent in all these due to the interaction of the cat converter, lean factory settings and the additional fuel booster on the carb block that was used to offset the lean bogging issues). Art reworked my carbs and my 2001GP 1200R had a totally different attitude after he was done. The thing I noted was I no longer had what felt like a 'turbo lag' in the midrange RPMs (nothing, then whoosh) and it also didn't bogg down on corners anymore.

Art has studied these machines for years. His combination of needle/seat, jetting, and restrictor on the pump made a world of difference on mine.

+1
    Do you have waveeaters? Have you tested the PV's? With 150hrs, you'll want to rebuild the carbs anyway. Have you looked down the jetpump to visually see if the impeller was damaged?

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZ View Post
    We need a bunch more info. How many hours on it?
    The first thing that comes to mind is that the carbs most likely need to be gone through, cleaned and preferably rebuilt and updated...there is a sticky by Osidebill in the Yamaha section for that. Also has the cat been replaced with a d-plate? How is the jet pump?
    Tons of info on this board for a GPR...read read read and ask questions...but the more detailed info you can give the better the answers you will get.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...mid-range+lean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabora1 View Post
    Motor has just under 150 hours, the compression is 125, 125 and 130. new filter, new gas new plugs. I have been told that the impellor needs replacing and this could be the cause of slow takeoff, but doesnt explain the surging at wot. All fuel lines and oil lines look to be in good order.
    Many thanks
    Warren
    Check to see if the catalytic converter has been replaced with a d-plate...simplest way is to see if the heat sensor coming off the exhaust has been replaced with a chip where it plugs in.
    You also need the WaveEater clips on the powervalves on that model.

Back to your surging at wot...I'm still thinking the most likely solution is a carb rebuild, and preferably with the upgrades, as mentioned above also. Really wakes that ski up big time.
    If you have surging, it could very well be the fuel supply leaning out. It doesn't take but a few minutes of a lean fuel condition to start damaging the piston/s.
    I don't want to be a negative alarmist, but don't keep running the ski this way or else your motor will suffer drastic damage.
    It's like that old Fram oil filter commercial..."pay me now or pay me much more later". In other words, rebuild the carbs before the pistons fry from a lean condition, or else rebuild the carbs "and the motor" after the lean condition.

There was also a fuel pickup problem with that model... http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39216
    For more info about the fuel pickup problem, check out the end of this thread...http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...131634&page=31
    Last edited by TexasZ; 03-24-2013 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added info

I have checked the impellor and there is a gap of about 5mm, which after a bit of research i beleive is not acceptable

+1
    I had a GPR last year with a similar problem- it took off slow and then seemed to rev like no other. When i took out the pump i found that the leading edges of the prop were bent and i had to replace the prop. Another smaller issue was that the foam inside the pump and around the grate was hanging out which can add to the cavitation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information