Thread: 550sx

550sx

I am in the process of painting my son's 1990 550SX, and wanted to know if I needed the sponsons on the lower rear of the hull. Do they serve a critical role in handling. We had an 86 550 without them and it handled just fine. Both the 86, and this 1990 are built motor wise the same, and have a toploading grate, prop, and Ocean Pro ride plate with skegs. If someone out there can direct me in the right path it would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    well stand up skis have been known for not changing much over the years.. for example can anyone tell the difference between a '99 superjet and a 2012 superjet, almost identical. its also easy to see that your '86 hull is very very similar if not identical to your '90 hull. so i'm sure you'll be fine without them if you were comfortable without them on the '86 because it is all about personal preference and experience.

I've rode superjets (round and square nose), 750sxi's, and 650sx's, none had sponsons and it felt fine but like I said before, its about your preference and how comfortable you feel because obviously the ski will be more stable but not as nimble with them on.

Oh and if it is stability while riding that your worried about, your ocean pro ride plate should help!

Welcome to the hulk

Thanks for the reply.

Here is my '91 550 and it came with the sponsons.
    The cornering is much better/stable than my previous 86 550 w/o the sponsons.
    But the porpoising is somewhat annoying at 3/4 throttle - standing close to the front as much as possible helps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WOODSTER View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    No problem, I wish there were more people on here who ride stand up skis! I hate to see them slowly go extinct

thanks MGM, going to put them on. If i don't like the how it rides i can always remove them and just rivet the holes shut. Thanks again for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ's gpr View Post
    well stand up skis have been known for not changing much over the years.. for example can anyone tell the difference between a '99 superjet and a 2012 superjet, almost identical. its also easy to see that your '86 hull is very very similar if not identical to your '90 hull. so i'm sure you'll be fine without them if you were comfortable without them on the '86 because it is all about personal preference and experience.

I've rode superjets (round and square nose), 750sxi's, and 650sx's, none had sponsons and it felt fine but like I said before, its about your preference and how comfortable you feel because obviously the ski will be more stable but not as nimble with them on.

Oh and if it is stability while riding that your worried about, your ocean pro ride plate should help!

Welcome to the hulk
    Ehh kind of. If you would have said 96 sj to a 07 sj yes nothing changed. 08 the hull width was changed with sponsons, pump setback, shortened pole, different steering cable, big hub impeller stock, motor was left alone with the 62t cases and 61x cylinder.

Anyways your 90 550sx assuming everything is original is kind of unique. It has the newer pump/ impeller design but with the 550 piston port motor and rear exhaust. In 91 they went to a reed motor. To get to your question you don't need them I liked mine with out them back in the day. I always run jet dynamics top loader intake grates and ride plates, I would look for those two items for your sons ski.

Good luck. Be sure to post pics!

Leave them off and buy some blowsion tubbies for it. Glass them in then paint.

Thread Information