Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hull Vent

+1

Hull Vent

There are alot of threads around about removing the foam pieces from the sides of the skis to make them breathe better. There is also some debate over whether or not to remove the hoses from the inside once the foam is removed. Well a friend of mine was riding recently on his 2009 SHO and capsized his ski.....it sank like a rock in about 2 minutes. It seems those hoses (according to Yamaha) are put there in the event you capsize your ski, to prevent water from rushing into the hull (running them to the bottom of the hull will put them at the highest level when the ski is upside down drastically reducing water intake). Just something to think about I guess. My friend was thrown from his ski and the ski capsized, before he could swim back to his ski and attempt to roll it back over, it had taken on so much water it was done for. We couldn't at first figure why it sank so quick until a Yamaha Tech asked if the inside hoses had been removed when the foam was removed....apparently removing the foam is ok, removing the hoses is a risk if you ever capsize your ski because water will just pour in through the 2 holes on either side. Has anyone else had a similar event happen or heard anything about this ?

+1
    Never heard of this but thanks for posting the warning. I have foam removed but still have the hoses. I actually have blowers attached to the front hoses to force air into the hull.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    yes if you capsise water will get in.....if you move the hoses from the stock location at bottom of hull.....to cool stuff it will let water in........there at bottom of hull because when it capsises the tubes will be the highest point thus not letting water in..........best thing to do is not capsise it

4. +1 by:

+1
    I had no front storage bucket on my RXP and when i flipped it sunk in literally under a minute maybe 30 seconds.......lol

+1
    So I'm guessing that removing the foam and leaving the hoses will have absolutley no effect at all on performance....how could it with the hoses still running to the bottom of the ski. So I guess it's remove everything and hope for the best, or don't even waste your time removing the foam if you're gonna leave the hoses.

+1
    I could see a difference in hull temp with more air flow that the foam removal provided. I also added rear vents at the same time so I cannot state exactly how much the foam removal helped.

+1
    I didn't know about those hoses. Good information. +1

+1
    Why won't this thing let me +1 Like his original post. Good information I didn't know anything about.

Banned User
    +1
    Thanks for sharing the info. Disnt know about the hoses either mine dont exist. I thru them away.

+1
    I've removed the foam and hoses from my ski, but I've kept everything. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to put the hoses back on or not. I'll prob do some runs with the hoses and without to see if it really makes a difference. How hard is it to capsize a FX SHO....it's a big ski. My friends ski is the first one I know about personally to ever capsize.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information