Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Handling, FZR/FZS vs FX SHO

To those who have ridden both, could you break down the differences. Also, how the 2012-13 FX SHO compares to the earlier hull design. How much better is the turning on the FZR?

I have been primarily been looking at the FX SHO for the smoother ride, but have always liked the highest performance toys.

Thanks.
    Last edited by tuningforks; 03-30-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling

+1
    Do you mean FZR/S or VXR/S vs FX Sho... but anyway, tell us where and what conditions you mostly ride in and you'll get the right answers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by @JC View Post
    Do you mean FZR/S or VXR/S vs FX Sho... but anyway, tell us where and what conditions you mostly ride in and you'll get the right answers.
    Yeah sorry, I meant the FZR/FZS.
    I will mostly be riding inland lakes and rivers in S/E Wisconsin and maybe Lake Michigan on occasion. The lakes in my area are quite busy on the weekends. There is a lot of chop from boat traffic.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tuningforks View Post
    To those who have ridden both, could you break down the differences. Also, how the 2012-13 FX SHO compares to the earlier hull design. How much better is the turning on the FZR?

I have been primarily been looking at the FX SHO for the smoother ride, but have always liked the highest performance toys.

For lots of big lake chop you want the FX series hulls; they have always provided a more comfortable ride in the rough.
    The new FX SHO is longer than the previous design and improves on it in every way.

The FZR/FZS is no slouch in the chop, but it's better on smoother water.
    The hull on the FZR/FZS is designed for leaning in, and it turns very well; the ski's telescoping steering was designed for a stand-up, athletic style of riding. When I am underway, I probably spend 90% of my time standing up on the FZS.

I would consider all of these to be "high performance."
    Best thing to do is see if you can set up a test ride and compare them for yourself.

+1
    Thanks. I am thinking the FX SHO will be better all around. If it handles close to the FXS and does 2-3 up, pulling wakeboards etc. better, it's probabaly the better choice for me.
    It's getting to be crunch time with the incentives on the 2012's ending this week.

6. +1 by:

+1
    I've ridden the new FX, & IMO it corners MUCH better than the FZ's. I was amazed at how well it turns, & the one I rode was bone stock with no aftermarket handling mods. The sponsons Yamaha used on it have much deeper blades than previous models. I think it's a no-brainer...better cornering & won't beat you up in the chop near as much as the FZ models.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    I've ridden the new FX, & IMO it corners MUCH better than the FZ's. I was amazed at how well it turns, & the one I rode was bone stock with no aftermarket handling mods. The sponsons Yamaha used on it have much deeper blades than previous models. I think it's a no-brainer...better cornering & won't beat you up in the chop near as much as the FZ models.
    Thanks, I think I'm sold. I trust and value the opinions that I have received on the board. I did notice the sponsons were deeply grooved, as you said.

Unfortunately, I'm in Wisconsin and the water is in a solid state, so test rides are out of the question.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Thanks, I think I'm sold. I trust and value the opinions that I have received on the board. I did notice the sponsons were deeply grooved, as you said.

Unfortunately, I'm in Wisconsin and the water is in a solid state, so test rides are out of the question.

I have a FZ you can ride here......LOL its not frozen here.....good luck with your purchase and welcome to Green Hulk Dot Net

Banned User
    +1

Not entirely true. My buddy and me are hitting Lake Michigan on Saturday most likely. He has an FZS that he rides out there all the time. I would probably gowith the FX SHO if you are planning on putting in any time on Lake Michigan. I don't know if you have been out there at all on a ski, but it can be real nasty sometimes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post

I have a FZ you can ride here......LOL its not frozen here.....good luck with your purchase and welcome to Green Hulk Dot Net
    Living down south sounds better to me all the time. Your FZ sounds like a beast. Thanks for the welcome.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information