Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Maintenance on VXR

This weekend will be the first nice weekend of the year for us here up in northwestern Montana so I will be taking the VXR for it's first run of the season. It has 22 hours on it, I did the 10 hour oil change and service at my local Yamaha store last year (August) but they charged me nearly $300 to swap oil so I'm very hesitant to take it back to them. Do I need to look at changing oil, spark plugs, grease? I'm very new to doing my own work on these things so any advise would be appreciated. I winterized it but not completely as we keep it in the warmer garage(battery, anti-freeze flush, fuel). Last week I put the battery back in and turned her over with no issues at all.
    Thanks In advance!
    Luke

+1
    If you fogged the engine I would change the plugs after burning off the fogging oil. Only 12 hours on the oil you should be fine but could always change it out yourself. You will need an oil extractor pump.

I didn't fog it. When should I change the oil? Is there a set maintenance plan?

+1
    Search for a service manual online. You should be able to pick one up pretty cheap. It will explain all procedures for doing routine maintenance and also will help if you have any issues. These things are relatively easy to maintain yourself.

Pm sent to you.

PM sent back.

One other thing, my reverse lever is very stiff, my girlfriend cannot engage it. Any fix for this?

Quote Originally Posted by MT_Luke View Post
    PM sent back.

One other thing, my reverse lever is very stiff, my girlfriend cannot engage it. Any fix for this?
    . Get some Yamaha silicone spray (or WD40 if you cant find that) and spray some of the connections and reverse cable down near the pump. Too, the reverse lever, I find, is always easier to operate when the Ski is "wet" in the water. Your owners manual goes into oil changes and such; look at that. There are some VXR/S owners on here with well over 200 hours with minimal maintenance. Only 22 hours on it . . . it is still being broken in. By the time I hit 30 hours on mine I gained a full 1.5 mph. JB.

+1
    I flushed mine recently and that's it. It was good to go. Battery charged, fogger flushed out, washed and ready to go!

+1
    Well since it has become a thread I might as well use it to just confirm a few things since the season is right around the corner. I obviously winterized and did not quite hit 30 last season...should I...
    1. Change oil for new season did it at 9 hrs.
    2. Change air filter
    3. Change plugs

Anything else I am missing besides battery charged and ready to go.

Thanks

+1
    I changed my oil at 10 then again at 50 so you should be alright. I would just check the levels to make sure they are all good. For example I had oil changed at 50 late September and put it away in October with 75. I am going to wait for 100 to do the oil change/service. But I will check the oil level before my first ride.

Quote Originally Posted by MT_Luke View Post
    PM sent back.

The condue from the water sprayer hose slid down on mine and I found it really hard to engage reverse all I did was slide the condue back up the hose and all was fixed its smooth as in and out of the water

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information