Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Water in the engine compartment???

My son has a Polaris Virage he'll ride it for a while then he'll let it float on the bouy for awhile or until the next day he gets quite a bit of water in the engine compartment or while he's riding? Does any body know how the water could be getting in ??
    We do tighten the drain plugs in the back .
    We've had it for 2-3 years great running machine no problems until this . He has to use the bilge pump more than uasual.
    [email protected] thanks

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk

one of the most common places for a ski to leak is the thru hull bearing. take a loook where the driveshaft enters the hulll.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow Things to check when your Virage is leaking water into the hull

Welcome

There are several ways water can get inside the hull. It would be helpful to know if the water comes in mostly while riding, or while floating.

See my signature links for a lot of useful and related material.

The areas to check on the Virage include;

Drive shaft through-hull bearing carrier, located behind the engine, attached to the hull. The shaft seals and even the bushings may need replacement. Fairly easy to change, and worthwhile if they are original as the rubber seals do age.

Directly behind the through-hull on the Virage the stubby rubber 'hose' section clamps onto a plastic fitting at the hull end. That fitting is held in place with a plastic nut located under the hull inside the pump tunnel intake. Sometimes the plastic fitting becomes loose and allows water to leak into the hull. The nut requires an unusual tool to tighten.

Directly underneath the drive shaft is a small white plastic nipple that the clear speedometer pitot tube connects to. If that nipple is damaged or the hose has come off then it will allow water into the hull. Do not confuse the battery vent hose with the speedometer hose, as they look the same.

The bilge pump exit hose should loop up high and then connect to the hull exit fitting. Make sure the hose clamps are actually tight and do not leak. The original zip ties are less than wonderful and proper hose clamps are a good idea.

Every hose clamp down at the base of the jet pump, inside the hull, must be watertight.

Next are the water leaks related to the engine cooling system. For the most part, running the engine with the seat off will reveal water leaks from the cooling system. If you can strap it to a trailer you can run the engine at the launch ramp with the jet pump intake fully submerged. This allows you to stand beside the hull and observe. You can even apply throttle.

Is this a two cylinder engine?
    Which year and model? Carburetor or fuel injected?

Sorry to jack a few month old thread, but I have the same issue.
    Just noticed today that the hull is filling with water when sitting in water.
    I pulled the seat while floating and this is where water is coming in. Where should I start? Just a loose clamp? Would it be the plastic nut? If it's a seal any info on how to replace and which one to order?

2001 Virage TX carb
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	virage leak point.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	304604

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff G View Post
    I pulled the seat while floating and this is where water is coming in. Where should I start? Just a loose clamp? Would it be the plastic nut? If it's a seal any info on how to replace and which one to order?

2001 Virage TX carb

There is a o ring on the other side of that. But do I see a crack in your pic?

Banned User
    +1
    I seem to recall that being a common issue with the Virage hulls. Keith would know more.

Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post

2001 Virage TX carb

You're Probably Seeing A Mix Of My Poor Camera And Bad Lighting, But Just In Case - Where Do You See A crack?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post

2001 Virage TX carb

You're Probably Seeing A Mix Of My Poor Camera And Bad Lighting, But Just In Case - Where Do You See A crack?
    Right above your red arrow.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    To get at this you need to remove the jet pump and slide the drive shaft out.

The through-hull fitting is removed by loosening the gear clamp and working the stubby rubber 'hose' section off.

Inspect the plastic fitting that passes through the hull. It has an odd shaped plastic nut on the rear end which can require a special tool to turn the nut.

You will need to also remove the single bolt and pull the water intake grate forward and down, to allow access to the underside of the pump intake tunnel.

Determine if the plastic fitting is loose, cracked or otherwise damaged.

While you have it off, you can replace or rebuild the through-hull bearing assembly. There are rubber shaft seals at both ends and inside are two sintered brass bushings.

More info on part numbers and sources can be found in the Jet Pump section of my signature links.
    Last edited by K447; 06-25-2013 at 06:54 PM.

thanks, Exactly What I Was Looking For!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information