Hull Venting - I need your opinions on a new idea

I removed the foam from my 2008 SHO and if there was an improvement it was small. From other posts I hear that you really need to open up the hull. Some are claiming that cutting large holes in front of the instrument cluster will allow a lot more airflow. Once you cut these holes you will have the same problem as removing the hoses but you should get a lot more air.

So here is an idea that I have never heard discussed and I would like some opinions.

What if you remove the inspection panel from the back of the front luggage compartment and then when you want to go fast block the hood open an inch or two. Seems like you could get as much air as you want and then close the hood when you are thru. I haven't done this yet but it should be pretty easy to fabricate a latch that allows the hood to stay open.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevv View Post
    I removed the foam from my 2008 SHO and if there was an improvement it was small. From other posts I hear that you really need to open up the hull. Some are claiming that cutting large holes in front of the instrument cluster will allow a lot more airflow. Once you cut these holes you will have the same problem as removing the hoses but you should get a lot more air.

So here is an idea that I have never heard discussed and I would like some opinions.

What if you remove the inspection panel from the back of the front luggage compartment and then when you want to go fast block the hood open an inch or two. Seems like you could get as much air as you want and then close the hood when you are thru. I haven't done this yet but it should be pretty easy to fabricate a latch that allows the hood to stay open.

Shim the catch for the latch with washers raise it up........the front will not be very water tight

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    All I did..........

4. +1 by:

+1

+1
    My initial thought (possibly quite wrong!) is that the airflow up over the hood will accelerate as it would over any airfoil, which will create an area of lower pressure, drawing air out of the hull. Now, if that air can be replaced from elsewhere it might be OK, but if not it may actually reduce the pressure and thus density in the hull, defeating the purpose.

I do a lot of turns on flat water that bring a lot of water up over that hatch, I would have concerns about water ingress.

Not trying to rain on the parade, just musing...

chrs jc

+1
    Make a few test runs with the seat off / on for comparison. Can't get any more open than that. Then ask yourself if what you gained by on or off made that much of a difference on speed. Use that to base your decision on what to do. Personally I haven't seen too much of a difference to justify opening up additional holes.

8. +1 by:

+1
    What I am doing with my new 12 FX SHO and did on my GF's 09 FZR is I picked up a couple 4" Flo-Rites. They use them on Polaris snowmobiles to replace the speedo or tach on the older 4" gauges to allow a low pressure pickup of cold air to feed the airbox. They snap in similar to the 2" Flo-Rites you can get through RIVA and they are water-impermeable so if you do capsize, it won't sink like a rock like some have experienced with the 4" intake base without hoses. You can drill and locate them where jtskier11 did his and if you drill a handful of holes in the side panel and open up the false vents on the side panel, forward motion will act like forced air induction and then the supercharger can draw whatever it needs as 4 4" intake ports should be ample intake volume without swiss cheesing the hull or worry of capsizing and taking on water faster than you can get it righted.

In fact, the 4" flo-rites worked so well that my GF capsized her ski last year and it was upside down for about 20 minutes before we found her in the surf and it was still bouyant. She wasn't able to right it under her own power so she had to wait for me to find her and do it myself and the hull was only half full of water after about 20 minutes capsized. Pumped out the water with the bilge and off she went jumping waves again lol.

+1
    I think I gained about 1-1.5mph with my seat off. I can't remember now but I did about 5 back to back tests (into the wind and with the wind so 10 in all) with seat on/off and all of the trim positions. I got the best results full trim and seat off.

I haven't vented my hull, but toying with the idea as the results are there. I've tried removing the storage front container block off plate thingy but it does little to nothing without letting air in somehow.

11. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by rcapone View Post
    I think I gained about 1-1.5mph with my seat off. I can't remember now but I did about 5 back to back tests (into the wind and with the wind so 10 in all) with seat on/off and all of the trim positions. I got the best results full trim and seat off.

I haven't vented my hull, but toying with the idea as the results are there. I've tried removing the storage front container block off plate thingy but it does little to nothing without letting air in somehow.
    When you removed the blockoff plate did you also open the front deck lid?

+1
    No, that's what I meant by it does little to nothing without being able to let in air. I guess that storage is actually sealed pretty good. A few of the local guys have drilled a few 3" holes towards the rear/behind the seat and installed what I assume are florites? It took me a few years to cut my hull for the rear exit so I'm not sure if I will be doing this.

After I change my clutch and I've tested my new modded stock plate, I will do all of my tests again. If I still see the gain I may bite the bullet. But in reality, if you are looking for max speed or racing you won't have someone of the back seat, so I would just remove the seat. Unless allowing the additional air makes the ski more efficient (fuel wise) I will probably lean to not drilling additional holes.

Thread Information