Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with GP1200R

I have a new to me 2000 gp1200r. It was not running when I got it. I completely rebuilt the carbs and rejetted to the specs listed on here with flame arrestors. I've added waveater clips and couplers. It has new plugs, reed stuffers, free flow exhaust(which I am changing back to stock when the parts come in). The problem is it idles like crap, is slow out of the hole, and will only turn 5500 rpm. I bypassed the fuel selector and got rid of the fuel flapper. Still the same. So I unplugged the power valve motor and set them to fully open. Still runs the same. Today I checked the resistance on the coils and plug wires per the manual. They're fine. Compression is all at 110-115. That's as far as I've gotten. Has all new non-ethanol fuel also. The guy i got it from said it has a solas prop but he didn't know any specs on it. Help!!!

+1
    Slow out of the hole could be too tall a prop. if you suspect power valve problem close them and see how it comes out of the hole.
    you didn't say anything about the Catalytic converter/D plate.
    Did you fix the problem that caused the engine failure.
    Do not use the wave eater couplers they wear the shafts out.
    The stock ones are better just close the gap a little. the free flow is an improvement unless you don't like the extra noise.
    Are you sure it is not cavitating.
    If the prop is a 13/19 and the power valves are working/cycling then you should be looking at the carbs.
    If you did not pressure test the motor you should do that also.

It does have a D-plate and chip and a new fuel filter. It didn't have an engine failure as far as I know. It had been sitting for a while and the gas was bad, the carbs were nasty, and the battery was dead. The clearance between the impeller and the wear ring is within spec. The power valves cycle as they should after cycling power. I did take the head off and installed a new head gasket and checked the cylinder walls. I did not pressure test the engine afterwards. i guess next I'm going to replace the fuel lines.

After reading the settings on the "GPR\XLT Carb Upgrade\ Accelerator pump removal" thread, I think I got the settings mixed up with the seadoo 951 settings. The 951 carb setting is 1.5 out on the lows and the highs closed. Thats what I set it to instead of 1.5 out on the highs and 1 out on the lows. I was doing both of my skis at the same time. Good thing I didnt run it very long.

Set the carbs correctly. No change. The power valves cycle after shutoff but never move will driving. Could it be the cdi?

This thing is kicking my ass. The power valves moved when I revved it on the trailer at the house, didn't move while in the water or on the trailer when I took it out, but now they move again back at the house on the trailer.

+1
    The power valves open at 5000 rpm , if the engine is not revving above the 5000 rpm they will never go open.
    Check rpm when hitting the throttle.

The rpm is getting to about 5500. On the trailer they would open sometimes while cranking and moved when I revved it up but sometimes they don't do anything. The servo passes the test specified in the service manual. I'm going to go through the cdi tests tonight. Does it sound like a cdi problem?

CDI peak output was 1.2 volts. Rectifier, lighting coil, and pickup coil all passed their tests. How often do CDIs go bad? Would 1.2 volts even be enough to make it run. It was idleing really rough and sounded like crap.

+1
    Mudslanger - Can you explain this a little further please ?
    " Do not use the wave eater couplers they wear the shafts out. The stock ones are better just close the gap a little "
    Or some one ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information