Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Impeller problem

I have a 2012 FZS with 10 hrs on it. I am installing a Riva stage 1 kit.

Has anyone had to cut the impeeler off the drive shaft to install the new one?

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    Are you turning it the right way, and using the right shaft holding tools? And have you used some leverage tricks? Also, some recommend heating it up helps, I just cant see it needed at only 10 hours though.

+1
    I replaced the impeller on my 2009 FX SHO that only had about 30hrs on it. It was tight as a B*%$ to get off. It has left hand threads so make sure you're turning it the right way. You need the driveshaft holding tool so you can lock the driveshaft in a vice using the holding tool. Then it still took 2 of us pulling on the wrench with a 6ft piece of pipe on it to break it loose. I used some Marine Antiseize on the threads when I put my new one on. Hope this helps.

+1
    I have it at a yamaha dealer that wanted to install the kit. They called me today after they cut the impeller of yesterday to let me know they needed to fix the threads on the drive shaft to install te new impeller. Beginning to think I made a mistake letting them do the kit.

+1
    They didn't call you BEFORE cutting it off? they just screwed you out of a good prop that you could have repitched or sold, not to mention messing up the driveshaft! I would have some choice words for the service manager and would be getting a serious price reduction or new parts to replace what they destroyed.

6. +1 by:

+1
    It was cut off and then I was called and they let me know about the shaft. I will be having a talk with the service manager. I have yet to read anywhere that an impeller had to be cut off..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It was cut off and then I was called and they let me know about the shaft. I will be having a talk with the service manager. I have yet to read anywhere that an impeller had to be cut off..
    I have heard of impellers being cut off by dealers before but that should have called you first to get your approval!

9. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks fo the responses. I not sure it makes me feel any better, But now I know this has been done before. I am a new FZS owner as of last year. I dont know anyone in Hampton Roads VA to get good advice or help. these forums are great for info and I will be reding everything I am sure.

Jefferson City MO (Ride at Lake of the Ozarks)
    +1
    For the record, I have had to cut an impellor off before (pics later) but that was due to guy before me using red locktite to put it on and I coming along and galling the threads in the process of trying to wrench it off.

If I were you, I'd want to see these 'fixed' threads before they put the new impellor on your driveshaft. Otherwise a couple years down the road you may be in for a surprise when trying to take this one off. And the dealer won't know a thing about it, amnesia will have set in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    That's ludicrous, I'd be demanding the replacements at no charge.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information