Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Ultra maintanence and regular service

Hey guys. Just wondering if I'm skipping anything on maintanence or regular service. I try to go by the service manual in the back. After weekend rides I flush with fresh water and salt away and silicone spray everything metal. Periodically I check hoses and s/c. In the winter I clean inter cooler and depending on hours I check my valves (now). I guess my question is am I missing anything and not realizing it? I have over 200 hours on my ultra 250 And its been trouble free so when ever I recommend an ultra 250/260/300 (knowing the 300 is the best) someone says the kawis need so much more maintanence. I don't feel like I'm over wrenching on my ski. I know Yamaha makes a great product hands down. I have a yfz 450. It's the best quad I ever owned. But people say they need less maintanence. So what are they not doing that we are doing? And again am I missing anything?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    That's as simple as it needs, you will get many that say other wise. But as you 200hr 250 has proved
    It's all about good simple maintenance .doesn't need to be hrs like some complainers try and say.
    Just keep doing what u have.
    Lube the cables once a season
    Check pump etc and enjoy the ski

Waz

Quote Originally Posted by devils ride 250 View Post
    Hey guys. Just wondering if I'm skipping anything on maintanence or regular service. I try to go by the service manual in the back. After weekend rides I flush with fresh water and salt away and silicone spray everything metal. Periodically I check hoses and s/c. In the winter I clean inter cooler and depending on hours I check my valves (now). I guess my question is am I missing anything and not realizing it? I have over 200 hours on my ultra 250 And its been trouble free so when ever I recommend an ultra 250/260/300 (knowing the 300 is the best) someone says the kawis need so much more maintanence. I don't feel like I'm over wrenching on my ski. I know Yamaha makes a great product hands down. I have a yfz 450. It's the best quad I ever owned. But people say they need less maintanence. So what are they not doing that we are doing? And again am I missing anything?
    Based on your hours, I would say whatever you are doing you are doing it correctly. If you don't mind me asking, a few questions . . .

- what year 250 is it?
    - Are you running the stock pump bearing set up?
    - how often (if ever) have you changed the pump bearings?
    - how often do you change the spark plugs? What do they look like when you do?
    - I see your location is PA so you are probably winterizing the Ski (correctly)
    - During your riding season, how long does the Ski "sit' between rides on average?
    - how often do you change the oil?

JB

+1
    Yes
    No but I'm Gina upgrade to 300 set up
    Once a year. Look good fouled one set only
    Yes I winterized and keep in garage
    Sits no more then a week or two
    Twice a year and one filter a year

I even have original battery from 07'. I keep it on a tender
    What is a good opinion on that? Should I get a new one? I put in on the tender and its fully charged after 2 minutes

+1
    do you mean you still running the original jet pump bearing?
    Yes
    No but I'm Gina upgrade to 300 set up
    Once a year. Look good fouled one set only
    Yes I winterized and keep in garage
    Sits no more then a week or two
    Twice a year and one filter a year

I even have original battery from 07'. I keep it on a tender
    What is a good opinion on that? Should I get a new one? I put in on the tender and its fully charged after 2 minutes

+1
    Ya until I got on this forum I didn't realize the issues with the factory set up. My dealer never said I needed to and I trust him. He hasn't had any failures on the pump bearings and he's a kawi dealer But I like reliable riding so I will upgrade

+1
    Holly $#%, you are pretty lucky you still have your 250, do the pump before you put it back in the water. on my 260 at 20hrs, the back bearing was already blue because of the heat. My dealer didn't told me at the time eather and never had any issue with pump but he's only selling 3-4 ski a year. As for your battery, if it stay charged and start the ski repeatedly without getting low, you should be good with it
    Ya until I got on this forum I didn't realize the issues with the factory set up. My dealer never said I needed to and I trust him. He hasn't had any failures on the pump bearings and he's a kawi dealer But I like reliable riding so I will upgrade

+1
    Ya I put a slows prop on at 150 hrs. Bearings looked good he said. He sells a lot of skis. I'm doing bearing upgrade now. Dude, battery's are around $100. My plugs always look good. I never seize them as well. Even the one time they fouled they looked good. I always keep a spare set.

+1
    Solas prop

+1
    putting anti seize on your plugs is a good investment

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information