96 gtx 787, hard to start when cold...

I just finished the motor transplant, from a 97 xp, engine started right up on xp before removing, when I took the engine out I changed all the fuel hoses, cleaned the hull on the gtx, and went carefully thru everything I could think of, I do have spark and fuel, but its hard to start once it starts, it will start right up, until it gets cold, the carbs are like new (the xp had only 20 hrs on it until it crashed it belong to a friend), what should I check? this is what comes to mind on what I went thru, carbs checked filters and air fuel screw (were very clean) no adjustment needed, compression even 155 psi even on both, fuel lines changed to black ones, runs great once you get It started, also checked and greased/lubed impeller pump and shaft, choke works.

+1
    Is the choke working properly? Are you sure you got the low speed screws set back in their correct adjustment? Double check all fuel line routing, possibly one got misplaced.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    hose routing, clamps, vac lines to fuel pumps, don't fall into the trap..high speed screws on some Seadoo models are correctly set when fully closed.

did you have the rv cover off?..use new gaskets on carbs?..

on 787's it's tricky to get them on correctly unless you were precise on fuel line lengths between the carbs ( tip-I use an old 787 manifold to set the carbs up with new lines and crimp the connectors once the carbs on bolted on the test manifold. Makes an easier time getting them back on the engine..too short or too long and you can tweek carbs the gaskets causing an air leak.

I use generous amounts of high tack on the carb gaskets

You can make a jig by measuring hole centers and drilling some plywood.

I had hard time supreme the first couple of times I did 787 carb work.

just got back from 4 day vacation with the ski's, got there started with problem but started, ran and started great the rest of the day, so the next days were the same, I think I put the flame arrester filter in backwards, i knew it ran fine the rest of the day once it started, so i left it like that, i will take it apart and recheck everything again, but iam almost sure i put that filter the wrong way, i pull the choke on it after a run to see if it would kill the engine and it didn't.

+1
    If choking a warm engine won't kill it you are running lean for some reason. Either a low speed circuit is clogged or out of adjustment, or possibly an air leak at a gasket somewhere. It should die on full choke when warmed up.

Thread Information