Question Modifying cooler

Hey guys,
    I am going to be purchasing a 05 FXHO cruiser in the next couple of weeks and am already thinking about how I am going to rig it for fishing... My thought is to take a cooler and drill 2 x U bolts through the back just above where the rear tiedowns are on the back of the ski and one just in front of the tow hook on the other side of the cooler- like this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U bolt.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	296162 From there, I was going to attach tiedowns to the two on the rear and connect them to the back of the ski. the front I would use one of those long double hook adjustable stainless things (don't know what they are called) that I have seen people using to secure their racks to the tow hooks. From there, I was going to install a couple of rod holders on the sides of the cooler. So my question is, what is the needs for the PWC racks I see everyone has? Does the cooler have to be raised off of the back platform, or can it just rest on the back of the ski? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

+1
    I think your idea would work and I like it b/c it's simple & cheap. It would cost a little more, but I'd try to find stainless and you'll need some silicone where you pierce the ice chest. You'll also want to back up each side of the bolts w/over-sized washers.

BTW, one of the reason you see us use the racks is mainly gas or other gear. If you don't need it fine, but sometimes I have a 48qt ice chest and 5 gallons of gas in the rack. I can't do that w/just the ice chest...

Thanks 83. Definately stainless hardware. It would be used primarily in salt water so replacing the hardware every season would be more expensive than doing it right the first time. Is there any reason why i would need to raise it up off of the back platform?

+1
    I don't think so - but you might want to consider some type of padding between the cooler and the ski's turf/matt. Over time you may put depressions or other wear/rub marks into it. You could use something as simple as a beach towel or cheap floor rug/door mat from Walmart. Btw, the reason you see some of custom racks elevated is so the rack width can be expanded past the gunwales as opposed to being confined within them.

Thanks again. Good idea on the mat. I was thinking two of the knee pads they sell for gardening- gluing them to the bottom of the coller...

+1
    You're very welcome. I would try for something cheap or something laying around the house/shop that will work first. In any case, you will find your way...
    Post up w/pix and tell us your results. Somebody else may be interested in your plans.

Good luck,

Thread Information