Thread: Msx 110

Msx 110

I am new to this site,I have a 04 MSX 110 that goes into limp mode and displays the temp sensor, the Polaris dealer that does my service checked it out and said it is a blown head gasket (they have always serviced my machines and I do trust them),they are telling me it is labor intense to replace.I really do not want to invest a lot into this machine.Does anybody know a rough estimate on a cost, my dealer said it would be over a grand. I also have a 04 MSX 140 that runs great.My questions are would I be better off selling/trading them as a package and what are the values of the machines? thanks in advance and this is a great site

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

The Weber engines are indeed labor intensive. I will let our Weber experts comment on exactly how much work is involved.

Value of the effectively non-running MSX 110 depends on the condition of the rest of the machine. The MSX hulls are considered to be well designed by those who know about them.

The MSX 140 is a different question since it is running AND it uses a conventional 2-stroke engine (albeit Ficht fuel injected).

Price is of course influenced by demand for similar machines in your area, the condition of each machine and engine hours, etc. If a trailer is included then that has value.

Banned User
    +1
    I would keep the 140.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk.

Changing the head gasket on the Weber engine (MSX 110/MSX 150) is a big chore. You have to pull the entire engine out of the ski to get the head off. And that is no easy task. The Weber barely fits in there to start so there is not much room to operate. I've pulled my engine twice. PITA. Plus the headgasket is $70 and there are a few other gaskets you'll need to replace when reassembling. That estimate of over a grand to change the headgasket doesn't surprise me. Most repair shops won't touch them.

Now as to your problem. Did the mechanic do a compression test or leak-down test to determine the blown headgasket? Is the engine using coolant (reservior level keeps dropping)? If coolant got low enough... you could get an overheat condition. This can be bad... as the all aluminum open-deck block can become warped in a BAD overheat. Happened to me. But it might not have been the headgasket... there is a plastic gear driving the waterpump that has been known to sometimes fail. Happened to me. This will stop the waterpump and cause an overheat. And also... if you do have low compression... it could be from the all-too-common nikasil plating failure in the cylinders... and not a blown headgasket. Lastly... there is a single wire connecting to an exhaust temperature switch in the rear side of the exhaust manifold beside the head. Pull this wire off and see if your temp warning goes away. This won't hurt the ski just to try... but sounds like your problem is more severe than a failed temp switch. Hard to pin point your exact problems without more data.

So your probably thinking... I gotta get rid of this thing. And most folks would agree with you. You could try to part it out... but there are already 3-4 fully parted-out on fleabay. And even though the prices for all the parts are high... making you think you could make a bunch on parting it... be aware that those parts do not move fast and most have been there for some time. So unless you want the hull for an engine conversion project... probably best trying to pass the project on to another. A nice condition MSx 110/150 with a bad Weber engine I'd guess is worth around $800-$1200... depending on your market.

Cheers!

Banned User
    +1
    If you were closer to me I would consider buying it.

Thanks for all the responses,A little history ,It went into limp mode (overheat) at the end of the season .I did notice some coolant at the bottom of the hull,so I pulled both skis out and brought them to the dealer for winterization.Told him the problem and he said it could be just a hose but even to get to the hose it is a little bit of an effort(he told me could be about 8hrs tearing down & putting back together,so I agreed to it and it did not take him that long and charged me for what it took) so he did end up finding a bad hose replaced it put it back together,but same issue then found the blown head gasket.I have no reason to question him he is a Polaris dealer sells and services snowmobiles and victory motorcycles and at certain times of the year his place is full of Polaris PWC.He said he had no problem fixing it but told me the cost and it just did not seem worth it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    If you were closer to me I would consider buying it.
    Yeah... me too. But I suspect for different reasons. haha

---------------

OP, sounds like you have a decent mechanic... and that's good! But yeah... what he's quoting for a headgasket change sounds realistic due to the work involved and the expense of the parts. Plus it sounds like he wouldn't wantonly overchage you, based on your previous story.

I value a good running MSX110/150 with no problems in the $3200+ price range. In my market, you just won't find a 4-stroke (non-broken) any cheaper. Probably not the case in a place like Florida... can't speak for your area in Maine. So if you do choose to fix it... you might think of it's potential value. But word of advice. If a mechanic starts digging... could easily be determined to be more expensive in damage... like ruined nikasil in the cylinders or something. So repair cost could soar. Ask me how I know... Whereas now, you can sell it with a clear conscience and a dealer-diagnosed "bad headgasket". I'd bet some handy wrencher like myself would swoop in and take if from you at a fair price.

Cheers!

Banned User
    +1
    I would want it to do a conversion.

Thread Information