Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Possible end to the PWC ban in national parks?

I saw this story posted on Facebook today by ProRider Magazine.
    http://www.proridermag.com/feds-to-s...jet-ski-study/

I'm not sure if this study covers all national parks or if it's just Gulf Islands Seashore in FL & Pictured Rocks in MI. Either way it's nice to see some movement on this after years of PWC advocacy groups fighting to get these studies done.

PEER Executive Director Jeff Ruch said cutting park rangers’ jobs while promoting personal watercraft use — an activity which accounted for hundreds of accidents and 44 deaths in 2011, according to the Coast Guard — in national parks is “absurd.”
    That's interesting, because according to the same study, more than three times the number of people died that year in canoes & kayaks. I don't see him calling for them to be banned. IMO, this guy's objections have nothing to do with the money being spent, & more likely stem from the fact that he supports the PWC ban, even though there isn't a single shred of evidence to prove they cause environmental damage.

+1
    Hey Mark, I made mention of this issue about a month ago in the Southeast rides section. I think we're in public comment period with a decision being issued maybe in May/June... or never... I was w/a group out there this past summer. Talked to the Rangers while they were lashing everything down or removing items from Ship Island ahead of Isaac's landing. They had no negative comments about our visit that day.

The ban has nothing to do with deaths or accidents... it has to do with 2 stroke Carb EPA criteria.

+1
    According to the uniformed cheese head at the headquarters of the Big Thicket National Forrest I talked too about the ban in the Big Thicket National Forrest, (insert nerdy sounding voice) "personel water craft cause faster shore erosion because all they do is go around in circles"

Banned User
    +1
    Im sure they cause way more erosion than a ski boat throwing a 3 foot wake going in circles.........

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Im sure they cause way more erosion than a ski boat throwing a 3 foot wake going in circles.........
    Ya no shit! We have boats on the lake here with ballast systems that put off a freaking title wave of a wake but everyone complains about all the jetskis making the water bad??

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    Ya no shit! We have boats on the lake here with ballast systems that put off a freaking title wave of a wake but everyone complains about all the jetskis making the water bad??
    I hate those jackasses because they just weave all over the lake with no regard for the others on the lake. I can't stand the crowds on the inland lakes around here. If I didn't have Lake Michigan I probably wouldn't own skis. No water skiiers ever out there, they would probably get killed. They are probably the biggest destroyers of the lakes out of anyone. Between the huge wakes and the loud ass sound systems some of them have, it doesn't make a lot of lakes a pleasant place to be.

If they are working for the NPS.. they arn't the brightest of the bunch to say the least... The rangers over at Mohave are clueless, doesnt surprise me that he would give you an answer like that.

the two stroke ban is aimed to ban all 2 strokes that don't meet 2006 epa standards aka 4-strokes and DI 2 strokes.... they just decided to work on one area which is PWC, since the fight would be easier... If you look at the bill they are working to eliminate all 2 cycle motors...

+1
    That's a very good point about the wakeboard boats and skiers.

These radical green idiots will use anything they can to keep us off the water.
    This discrimination against PWC should have been struck down years ago.

And folks if you think the bans against our PWC are limited to 2 strokes, I have news for you; this agenda goes a lot deeper than that. The green radicals behind these bans simply don't want you on "their" water with ANY motorized vehicle. The massive water-grab off the coast of California a few years ago includes 4 strokes, including 4 stroke jet propulsion boats up to 20 feet long! (5000 nautical miles of ocean coastline) Please read through my signature thread for more details...
    Last edited by YoYamma; 04-08-2013 at 02:59 PM.

+1
    Actually, although it's roots goes back to the original ban on PWCs, there is more to the story regarding current events in Painted Rock and Gulf Islands. Yes, 2 strokes were the issues, but other reasons in the original ban cited noise pollution,wreck less operation, jet-propulsion technology (vacuum cleaner) and effects upon wildlife . The issue regarding the aforementioned NPs is about the NPs not fulfilling its last agreement regarding re-addressing the re-admittance that was due near the end of 2012. An impact study was due of which a lack in NP funding never saw completed.

The original plaintiff in the "re-entry" suit also stated that the last NP study was, for lack of a better term on my part, inadequate... In part, I think the NP is willing to keep the status-quo. Of course, I have no doubts that there is a "green" vein running through the NPS and a certain amount of disdain for PWCers. But most Rangers I have ever met (very few while on the bike) have been very nice.

If you're really bored, Google: Bluewater Network vs. Salazaar, et al. There is a downloadable PDF out there, it's nearly 100 pages long... but I've read it.

And yes, Yo is correct - Bluewater is so radical, they would rather you never get closer than just looking at the ocean from a sea-side restaurant, but don't even think about ordering a shrimp cocktail...

Personally, as an owner/enthusiast, I'd be willing to settle on a limited season like we have in certain LA WMA's. Let's face, not many are willing to go PWCing 6 miles off shore in the dead of winter. But I'd use that settlement as a finale' and not to open up negotiations with... just my 2...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information