+1

MSX Boarding Step

I was very tempted to resurrect this old thread titled 'MSX STEPS'... http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53540

It's the best one I found on the topic of boarding steps for the MSX. I'm interested in getting one for the kids.
    I thought it might be easier to install one while my engine was out... but it sounds like I don't need to do anything inside the hull.
    I do have the exterior scribe marks for the bolt holes on my hull... and I don't see any metal plates in the inner hull (can only see the left side area).

K447... I'm pretty sure you got yours installed some time ago... but the old thread died out before any reports of completion or success.

Can you describe what you used for mounting the step on your non-metal-backed '04 MSX hull?
    Did you use the AVK-AR fasteners... 1-3/4" long 1/4"-20 thread bolts... some sort of inserting tool?
    Did you ever make an external plate for under the mount like you had considered?
    Any issues with it (leaking, stressing the hull, etc.)?

Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I will have to review what I actually did and report back

No leak issues, at least none that I have noticed.

+1
    My 03 model has aluminium blocks glued in place.
    The MSX sits so low in the water I never thought you would need a step

Nice avatar

+1
    Ah... there it is... I thought I saw that awesome avatar somewhere. Guess I have to get an original one now. [changes avatar]

Yeah... I checked inside my '04 MSX hull... I don't see any block/plate bonded in there.
    As for needing the step... I've never tried deep water boarding on the MSX yet.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Ah... there it is... I thought I saw that awesome avatar somewhere. Guess I have to get an original one now. [changes avatar]

Yeah... I checked inside my '04 MSX hull... I don't see any block/plate bonded in there.
    Now you stole my avatar idea......... Actually I think yours is pretty cool.

+1

Change it back, my comment was tongue in cheek, we are all friends here
    About time I had a change it's been like that since 07

I'll see if I can get a pic of the back of the hull, the blocks are substantial and you will need to have very long arms or work out some method to place what you plan ro use for support.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... As for needing the step... I've never tried deep water boarding on the MSX yet.
    When a boarding step is really needed is when you have been tossed with some violence and are trying to re board while winded, injured from the dismount, or otherwise not at full strength.

Often passengers can have minimal upper body strength and that seat handle can seem a long way up when you are flailing around in the water behind the hull.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    When a boarding step is really needed is when you have been tossed with some violence and are trying to re board while winded, injured from the dismount, or otherwise not at full strength.

Often passengers can have minimal upper body strength and that seat handle can seem a long way up when you are flailing around in the water behind the hull.
    Good point K447

Here a a couple of average pictures of one of the alloy blocks glued to my 03 MSX inner hull. It looks like it is the same thickness as the blocks for the sponsons but larger.
    Not all hulls had them fitted, I would not look forward to doing this job!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	186.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	296753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	342.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	296754  

+1
    Wow... those are pretty large blocks/plates back there. That would be a challenge to install. Especially getting one on the right side with that huge foam piece fitted back in there.

Hmmm. So the Boarding Step Update Kit #2875141 for use on hulls w/o blocks... comes with AVK fasteners that expand and compress on the inside of the hull... since there is no block/plate to thread bolts into. And the use of these fasteners is sufficient to spread the weight of someone stepping on the boarding step... and not crack or stress the hull? I surely would feel more comfortable with those plates.

Cheers!

Thread Information