Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry aesthetics protection

I love my sea doo and do my best to look after it mechanically which Im sure is all one can do, but unlike many of you lucky fellows I dont live on fresh water....(east and west coast guys must have this issue too??)
    I have two RXP's 05 and 06 so they are both from the era with the "muscle car inspired" chrome (plastic) work on the handlebars and air "intakes" down the side... (btw talking of aesthetics whats happened to the sea doos now??) the 04-06 models had the best body style and color schemes metallic reds, golds and greens) I guess I am asking how to avoid corrosion and clouding of the chrome and other pieces in a salt environment. opinions appreciate.
    also Can you still buy the chrome pieces from the sea doo website or are they too old now??
    opinions appreciated

+1
    Some of it is discontinued but you just need to look it up ans see if it is available....

+1
    My 07 rxt is running in salt environment all the time. Wash it after every ride..Ifyou dont have the time to use soap at least fresh water (not to be environmentalist at this point..use a lot of water) some wax 1-2 times per season an you are doing more than enough. Mine looks as goog as new.

+1
    I painted my chrome black. I'll see how long it lasts, I got sick of the corrosion on mine. I wash mine after every ride and it still corroded.

Paul

+1
    I've seen quite a few skis with the fake chrome all messed up from salt.

Sand it down and paint it..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Madzooki View Post
    I painted my chrome black. I'll see how long it lasts, I got sick of the corrosion on mine. I wash mine after every ride and it still corroded.

Paul
    I am sorry to hear that.. I can't explain it though...I use it in salt water but my ski looks almost as new. Except from the chrome parts do you have issues in any other parts of you ski?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmarxt View Post
    I am sorry to hear that.. I can't explain it though...I use it in salt water but my ski looks almost as new. Except from the chrome parts do you have issues in any other parts of you ski?
    No other issues on any other part of my ski. Everything looks brand new except the chrome was getting some spots on it that wouldn't come off. So I sanded it down and painted it gloss black. I also added black hoses over the top from an 07 RXP. I actually like the way it looks better without the chrome on it. So it worked out fine for me.

Paul

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Madzooki View Post
    No other issues on any other part of my ski. Everything looks brand new except the chrome was getting some spots on it that wouldn't come off. So I sanded it down and painted it gloss black. I also added black hoses over the top from an 07 RXP. I actually like the way it looks better without the chrome on it. So it worked out fine for me.

Paul
    Aaa water spots..first of all some small bits are found in my chrome parts but I think there are due time (my ski is 6 years old) and also because I use water pressure for cleaning. Those water spots can be taken of with the help of some special products for this reason or with use of vinegar, which I am sure you know. What you might not know is that one apply will not be enough. Use vinegar with soap every time you wash your ski. I use a Meguliars 3 stage system for those spots specially designed for boats but I am sure there are other products as well. I also thought of painting them but I really like my ski looks like bone stock and sounds like one. That's the reason I don't mod my ski anymore haha..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmarxt View Post
    Aaa water spots..first of all some small bits are found in my chrome parts but I think there are due time (my ski is 6 years old) and also because I use water pressure for cleaning. Those water spots can be taken of with the help of some special products for this reason or with use of vinegar, which I am sure you know. What you might not know is that one apply will not be enough. Use vinegar with soap every time you wash your ski. I use a Meguliars 3 stage system for those spots specially designed for boats but I am sure there are other products as well. I also thought of painting them but I really like my ski looks like bone stock and sounds like one. That's the reason I don't mod my ski anymore haha..
    It wasn't water spots or hard water. It was corrosion causing the chrome to bubble. So I scuffed the chrome with 180 grit, then washed with a red scotch rite pad and comet to get rig of any wax or oil, then I painted them black.

Paul

+1
    I have a couple of bubbles as well...don't mind so far..when mine starts tearing apart I ll follow your advice on painting them. But still curious of so much corrosion...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information