+1

Everything But The Fish

Yesterday morning I dropped my jet ski in at Lynhaven Inlet and went out to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel hoping to catch a couple Tau Tog. I went to most of my favorite spots from the 1st Island to the High Rise and fished the bottom structure using live cut blue crab. Not a single bite or nibble all day. Talked to several others that were not in the same boat as me but were having the same results.

The conditions were near flat and glassy with temps getting up to 55, so it was a nice day to be trying anyway.

I also saw three different fouled sets of gill nets along the 4th island and wrapped around the piles of the bridge. These are gill nets that are probably 600 feet long. I will call and email VMRC so that maybe they can get the owner to pick up the mess. It was too big for me to handle from my jet ski.

Admittedly when the fishing slow, I am easily distracted by what ever I see around me. So yesterday I took several pictures.
    I saw Mark who just started fishing from his pwc last year and Kevin on his maiden voyage on his just finished Sea Doo.
    Lots of Dolphin and wildlife around and more coming as Spring is finally here.

Here are some pictures that I took while out. Happy Easter!

This was the only fish I saw caught all day!

Brian great pics as always!!! it's a shame about those abandoned gill nets, hopefully the varrious fisheries departments will finaly wise up and ban all gill netting of fish.... Just a heads up on your friend with the Sea Doo it looks like hes just in rain gear and a pair of jeans?? He needs to know how important the need of Dry suit when fishing in cooler water. We just lost a guy fishing on Monday when his canoe flipped while fishing....He was not wearing any Dry Gear, I know you wear Dry Gear and undestand the risks and danger of a unexpected dip in cold water....

3. +1 by:

+1
    Ditto, Lineside on the jeans - an old saying we used in caving and hiking when it comes to clothing (and this certainly applies to cold weather PWCing): "Cotton - the cool, comfortable cloth that kills" Cotton clothing will offer only about zero protection when it comes to cold & wet, and will usually increase the chances of hypothermia.

+1
    Yes, I agree. He was with the other guy that also had his jet ski. That was the first time I had met him in person. He actually had forgotten his life jacket ( we all forget things sometimes) and had to run down the road to get one. A lot people think just because the air temps hit 70 for the first time this spring, it is safe to go with just a life jack. Not! water temps here are still 47 degrees. I am confident he will get it together.

+1
    Brian, those are some great pictures. At least you have something to look at when the fish aren't biting.

Thanks for sharing.

Thread Information