+1

Is this crankshaft OK?

Hay guys,
    I just purchased a RAD modified trued and welded crank from a waverunner dealer that was closing out some of his inventory. It's supposed to be new but I noticed the two outer end bearings make a bit of noise and don't seem to be perfectly smooth when I spin them. The rod and inner bearings are silky smooth and silent. I pulled the front bearing off to inspect and don't see anything wrong. I'm just trying to make sure this guy didn't pull a quick one and that the crank is OK before I use it.

The crank is for a GP1200r that's going group K big bore.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Try putting some oil on the bearing and then spin it. A lot of times if it has been sitting for a long time it can dry out and dust can settle on the bearing a you will get a rough feeling when spinning the bearing.

+1
    Hay Jim,
    There was a light coating of oil when I got it. I did as you suggested and put a few drops of oil (10w-30) into the bearing races. Front bearing is now about as quiet as the other ones, rear is quieter but there is still some of the "dry bearing" sound when you give it a good spin. The sound is fairly soft but noticeable, sorta like a cheap bearing thats not perfectly smooth. I think the bearing is a Japanese KOYO brand (at least the front one is) which I understand is supposed to be good quality. I expected it to be perfectly silent with the heavier 10-30 oil. Also when I twist the bearing I see a little bit of play, but then again there seems to be some play in all of them.

Ken

+1
    Anyone?

+1

Cool

if you don't feel warm and fuzzy about rear bearing-change it! no big deal better safe then sorry
    got pix?

later cd

+1
    Is the rear bearing something that I could change with regular tools? I assumed it was pressed on and don't have a press. Also, I sent the guy my PTO to put on because I didn't have the "special" tool for it. If I'm able to change the rear bearing can the PTO be removed with a HD strap wrench?

Thanks for the response,
    Ken

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Hello Ken, Yes the rear bearing is pressed on. If you do not feel good about the bearing then you might want to order a bearing and have a shop press it on that would be your best and cheapest way out.

Thread Information