Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2002 polaris virage help

had a water line break and sucked in salt water threw the card cleaned all out now it has a intermittent bogging pulled plugs they seem very wet with fuel.

New plugs
    psi test 120 both heads
    coil tested at .2
    batt is 12.7
    carb was cleaned after that it ran great

any help i would be greatful

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    In what way was the carburetor 'cleaned'?
    Was this before or after the hose failure?

You had water spraying around the engine compartment - correct?

Did any water get inside the electrical box?

Any warning messages or red light on the MFI display?

Hi thanks for the response you seem like a great person after reading your threads for 2 weeks now.

Yes squirting around inside eng compartment.
    Yes the carb was cleaned and running before the hose break.
    No the electrical box is high and dry like new.
    no warning messages.
    Sorry i forgot to add, that I removed the Thermostat it was bad .waiting on the new one, i am in Florida so thought it would be ok to run with out for a while.
    The carb was just taken apart and cleaned with air the parts seemed good.

Thanks K447
    Last edited by greg964; 03-31-2013 at 05:58 PM.

+1
    Proper carb cleaning involves carburetor disassembly and use of an effective carb cleaning solvent, followed with a rebuild using a genuine OEM carb rebuild kit.

If you still have the original fuel hoses and they are the gray Tempo brand fuel hose, the the fuel hoses should be replaced with new. The old Tempo hoses had a problem with internal degradation over time and the resulting gunk can clog up carburetors.

New fuel filter, checked/cleaned/rebuilt fuel selector valve, and any other things that confirm the entire fuel system is 100% clean and air tight end to end. If the fuel tank has any water or sediment contamination in the bottom then it must also be cleaned.

Your engine bog may or may not have anything to do with your water spew issue. Could just be a coincidence.

Open the electrical box and confirm all is good inside. Not hard to do. Just disconnect the battery negative cable first.

+1
    Salt water operation

How long have you owned this machine?

Are you aware of the recommended maintenance procedures for salt water operation?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Salt water operation

How long have you owned this machine?

Are you aware of the recommended maintenance procedures for salt water operation?
    Only about 2 weeks. i am not sure but i flush the motor out after each run. i have read about not running the hose water with out the eng running.
    I have checked the inside of the electrical box thats how i did the coil test.
    I was thinking it may be related to something other then the water in the carb. i am running the motor at 2 fuel bars, but the clear fuel filter looks ok.
    where is the factory filter located,and why would the plugs be wet if it was running lean?
    I have also tried squirting a little fuel mix into the carb when it bogs but in only makes it run worse.

Thanks Greg

Quote Originally Posted by greg964 View Post
    Only about 2 weeks. i am not sure but i flush the motor out after each run. i have read about not running the hose water with out the eng running.
    I have checked the inside of the electrical box thats how i did the coil test.
    I was thinking it may be related to something other then the water in the carb. i am running the motor at 2 fuel bars, but the clear fuel filter looks ok.
    where is the factory filter located,and why would the plugs be wet if it was running lean?
    I have also tried squirting a little fuel mix into the carb when it bogs but in only makes it run worse.

Thanks Greg
    I think I found the problem, I taken a fuel sample out of the fuel tank it look cyrestal clear, then i let it sit for 1hr and looked at it and it looked like water was rolling around on the bottom of the jar so now im draining the tank don't know how it got in there.

+1
    I think I found the problem, I taken a fuel sample out of the fuel tank it look cyrestal clear, then i let it sit for 1hr and looked at it and it looked like water was rolling around on the bottom of the jar so now im draining the tank don't know how it got in there.
    Check the fuel filler neck and gas cap carefully. Look for hairline cracks.

Also confirm the seal in the cap is 100% good.

Then check the clamps at the fuel tank filler hose, and make sure the top ring on the tank sender is snug and no air leaks.

If you are careful, you can apply a small amount of air pressure to the fuel tank and check for air leaks. No more than a handful of PSI, like maybe 5 PSI. I remove the tank vent hose and connect my compressor to that nipple. Must not over pressurize the tank or it will go boom and split.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Check the fuel filler neck and gas cap carefully. Look for hairline cracks.

Also confirm the seal in the cap is 100% good.

Then check the clamps at the fuel tank filler hose, and make sure the top ring on the tank sender is snug and no air leaks.

If you are careful, you can apply a small amount of air pressure to the fuel tank and check for air leaks. No more than a handful of PSI, like maybe 5 PSI. I remove the tank vent hose and connect my compressor to that nipple. Must not over pressurize the tank or it will go boom and split.
    Well i have sucked out every last drop of old fuel out of the tank filled it up with new fuel, same deal. so i removed the head cover and the cylinder walls look brand new, so now im thinking

it maybe that cdi thing, what i dont get is that it idles fine but it just will not crank up to high rpm's.i checked the timing,, mag cylinder was at tdc and the flywheel was at (0) . i think it can only be electrical now.

I read the torque values for the head cover is 30lbs am i correct? It was killing me not knowing what the cylinder walls looked like so im glad i looked.

+1
    ... same deal...
    What exactly are the symptoms?

The problem happens sometimes, rarely, all the time? Under what conditions? Describe what happens. Does it fix itself?

Do you have a working RPM display? Any warning messages or red light when the engine is running?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information