Carb getting no fuel

I had to rebuild the top end of my 1999 Polaris 1050 SLTX and when I finished it wouldn't start because I wasn't getting any fuel to the carburetors (and yes the gas is on). What gives? It should be noted that I also removed the oil pump and reservoir and premix now. I capped off all the oil input holes. Would this affect my fuel input? Could it be the separator? Is it possible my carb just petered out? I can put gas in the carbs and it runs until that gas is gone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Rich.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Recheck the hose connections to the carburetors. Perhaps you have swapped some hoses.

In particular check the pulse hoses from crank case to carb, which power the fuel pump.

Did you disconnect the fuel hoses at the tank? If yes, make sure you have the feed hose connected to the correct nipple.

I took the on/off switch & separator out of the line, ran the carb straight off of the fuel tank and it runs fine. How bad would it be to leave these out of the line? Because I kind of broke the nipple coming off of the on/off switch. Thanks for your help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard429 View Post
    I took the on/off switch & separator out of the line, ran the carb straight off of the fuel tank and it runs fine. How bad would it be to leave these out of the line? Because I kind of broke the nipple coming off of the on/off switch. Thanks for your help.
    The fuel selector valve provides several safety functions. Among the reasons to have it in place;
    It prevents raw fuel from forcing itself through the carburetors and into the engine. Liquid fuel inside the engine is bad. It also limits creation of fuel vapors inside the hull when the machine is sitting in the sun.

It provides an alternate method to shut down the engine if the electrical kill switch does not work, for whatever reason.

These selector valves are not hard to replace. There are several sources available.

The fuel/water separator (if that is what your model has) and/or the fuel filter prevent contamination in the fuel from reaching the carbs and causing trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The fuel selector valve provides several safety functions. Among the reasons to have it in place;
    It prevents raw fuel from forcing itself through the carburetors and into the engine. Liquid fuel inside the engine is bad. It also limits creation of fuel vapors inside the hull when the machine is sitting in the sun.

It provides an alternate method to shut down the engine if the electrical kill switch does not work, for whatever reason.

These selector valves are not hard to replace. There are several sources available.

The fuel/water separator (if that is what you model has) and/or the fuel filter prevent contamination in the fuel from reaching the carbs and causing trouble.
    Ok, thanks. I'll order replacement parts.

+1

The fuel/water separator (if that is what you model has) and/or the fuel filter prevent contamination in the fuel from reaching the carbs and causing trouble.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree. I like running both, separator and on/off selector.

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1

My separators are all fine, but I would like to replace my on/off fuel selectors. Can you note the several sources please?

Thanks!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
    ... I would like to replace my on/off fuel selectors. Can you note the several sources please?

Thanks!
    The OEM Polaris two position On-OFF fuel selector valve is 7052159

WSM has two 'universal' ON-OFF-RESERVE fuel selector valves listed;
    006-602
    006-600

The SL1050 has a two position ON-OFF fuel valve, so the extra Reserve nipple would need to be sealed off.

Is there a generic two position fuel valve available?

Catalog page 84 also shows a replacement Polaris KNOB;
    WSM part number 006-603

The ON-OFF-Reserve Polaris fuel selector valve 7052063 is no longer available, but the 1995 Yamaha Wave Blaster Fuel Selector valve may be a good replacement (PN 6K8-24500-02-00)

Thread Information