Thread: A good deal?

A good deal?

I have read through several posts about the GP1200 and there is a deal locally where a 2004 GP1300R and a 2000 GP1200 are for sale with a double trailer for 5000.00. Both skis have about 80 hours on them but the 2000 has suffered a 3rd cylinder failure where the oil lines came off. Guy says it did not throw a rod and best to drop a 1500.00 SBT engine in it and be done with it but we are on the fence. Some say there is nothing wrong with the SBT engines where other have mentioned best to save the OEM. I know there are plenty of variables but worst case, is it really whether to rip and replace and furthermore is this just best to walk away from all together? Thanks for any insight.

+1
    A little to much in my opinion, but it also depends where your located. The GP1200 is not worth much broken, but does have a really reliable motor if rebuilt properly. Let's just say avoid SBT as they don't have a very good reputation and leave it at that. The GP1300R will also most likely be due for a top end rebuild in the future. So you will just end up working on 2 skis. Being that the season is starting now I would walk. You could end up spending more time wrenching then riding this summer.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    nada book on the 1300 is well over 3k, trailer at least worth $500 assuming the ski isn.t thrahshed. Could be a deal, but a ski needing an engine can quickly turn into a money pit. Also no two strokes on lake meade..so that could mean value=zero if that is your venue!

you need help here. Pay somebody to evaluate the skis for value, then negotiate. Expect to pay $75+ for a good go thur (at my place you get 20 minutes @ full throttle in the water tank, which uncovers most hidden issues )

+1
    I do have two GP's one is a 2001 GP1200R it already had a complete rebuild & repaint ground up, plus mods with only 46 hrs and I got it for $2700 also have an 08 GP1300R, with only 27 hours and really looks new I paid $4000 for it. With trailers. I think you should offer much less for the package. I would vaue the bad engine one (2000 GP ) @ about $ 800. tops, believe it or not and the The GP 1300 R, I am assuming is at least an 03 or 04 at about $2800. and the trailer not more than $600. Thus max around $4200. Tops ! I am serious .... pass on this deal if he still wants more than 4.2K Good luck

Banned User
    +1
    way to high for what i have gotten, paid, and sold for. pass or low ball the guy it cant hurt, worse he says no

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am in Cincinnati, Ohio and the pwc's for sale are a various mix of junk and folks looking way high. We are looking for two solid skis and having some issues trying pick through the available ones. We have heard that Yamaha's are on the whole a good start for reliable skis but of course it all depends on maintenance and how they have been taken care of. Are there brands that the majority of you feel like are better than others other than what I have read, which includes being cautious of models that the manufacturer is no longer making or out of the pwc business all together (Polaris, Honda, etc). So solid reliable brands which would be good for pulling tubes and skiers and more cruising rather than all out racing? Thanks again for any input.

Banned User
    +1
    your going to get different opinions kinda like whats better ford or chevy. the only skis i would personally stay from are honda and polaris. they both are no longer in the pwc game. parts can be hard to get and you may pat top dollar for parts.yamaha and sea doo you cant go wrong with if looking for used skis. biggest thing is check them over and ride the hell out of it for a good 15-20 minutes. a must do is a compression test

Yeah I figured it's a source of religion for some. I do however appreciate that you answered in order to get another look at the avatar. Nice. So so nice.

Banned User
    +1
    i will keep an eye out around me about an hr south of lake erie

Thread Information