Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Maint/Checks before going out this year (300x)

Hey guys,

Just wondering what I need to check before putting the ski in the water this summer. The ski was supposed to stay in the heated garage at the shore house, but had to bring it home because of Sandy. I've been starting it up about once every 2 - 4 weeks and letting it run for awhile. The biggest problem is I didn't put antifreeze in the ski when I brought it home , it slipped my mind with all the Sandy crap. I did start it a ton before it ever left the heated garage so hopefully all the water was shot out already. Also I try to keep it as clean as possible but i'm starting to notice a little salt residue on the engine, and on the step in the rear.

P.S. ski also sits tilted way up.
    Last edited by YellowGTO; 04-02-2013 at 10:27 AM.

+1
    remove pump cone and check for water infiltration, change engine oil if not already done, due to lack of antifreeze run the ski on the hose and check for leaks and check oil frequently for internal water leak, check exhaust filter

+1
    really removing the pump cone is going to tell you that!! I don't think so!! water has to pass three seals and 3 bearings and orings before it enters the cone area.

+1
    on my other ski before the Ultra (sea-doo and Yamaha) i was checking it that way, the dealer always check the Ultra, i taught it was possible to check it the same way. my bad
    Sorry for misleading on this
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    really removing the pump cone is going to tell you that!! I don't think so!! water has to pass three seals and 3 bearings and orings before it enters the cone area.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by brisyl View Post
    on my other ski before the Ultra (sea-doo and Yamaha) i was checking it that way, the dealer always check the Ultra, i taught it was possible to check it the same way. my bad
    Sorry for misleading on this
    You can but. But Corey was pointing out once it gets all the way to the cone its to late. Well at least I think that's what he meant

+1
    like i said, on my other ski, i always checked it like that, and yes when it's visible from the cone, normally it need to be rebuilt but at 7600rpm it doesn't take long to spread everywhere into the pump, even when its disassembled for check up, if water is present i wouldn't reinstall the same bearings anyway,
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    You can but. But Corey was pointing out once it gets all the way to the cone its to late. Well at least I think that's what he meant

+1
    Ill run water through it when this RV antifreeze comes in. The oil was changed right before I put it in storage and still looks brand new on the dipstick. And it fires right up and sounds great.

+1
    Ill run water through it when this RV antifreeze comes in
    . What!

+1
    exactly tommy ive never found water in the rear cone, a slight bit of moisture yes but nothing that would force me to remove the pump for bearing replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brisyl View Post
    . What!

I ran water through the ski to see if it ended up in the oil. I didn't want to run it through until I had antifreeze to put into it after I ran the water through. I ran a bunch of water and antifreeze everything sounded and worked well that I can see. Nothing ended up in the hull, or oil. I dont really know how to check the cone, ill have to order a haynes or whatever the equivalent is for the jetski.

Thanks for the help guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information