Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2002 Polaris Freedom questions - SO MANY SPARK PLUGS

how do I adjust how much oil is used? the oil/air ratio I guess...
    here's whats happening,
    I put brand new spark plugs in and ride for maybe 30 mins at the most
    I replace those spark plugs with another set of brand new one while out on the water and take off again and those only last for like 10 minutes at the most.
    I replace the spark plugs again with another brand new set for the 3rd time and those immediately act as though they are no good.
    this has happened multiple times. someone please help
    Last edited by K447; 04-03-2013 at 07:39 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002Freedom View Post
    how do I adjust how much oil is used? the oil/air ratio I guess...
    here's whats happening,
    I replace those spark plugs with another set of brand new one while out on the water and take off again and those only last for like 10 minutes at the most.
    I replace the spark plugs again with another brand new set for the 3rd time and those immediately act as though they are no good.
    Welcome to the Hulk! Please start a new thread in one of the forums so we can help. Include all of the basic information like the year, model, and motor in your ski, what types of plugs you are using, if you have the oil injection, or premix, etc...

Please Help, SO MANY SPARK PLUGS

hi, I have a 2002 Polaris Freedom... how do I adjust how much oil is used? the oil/air ratio I guess...
    here's whats happening,

+1
    Welcome again! What type of plug are you using? What do the plugs look like when you pull them out? Someone with domestic motor experience will likely speak up soon, but is it possible that this is not necessarily a spark plug problem. I believe there have been issues with domestic stators failing once the motor heats up, but will re-start once the motor is cooled down...

on the spark plug it says BPR8ES and NGK R
    usually they just come out with the little L hook looking like its burnt but not a lot of obvious oil residue on it.
    could adjusting the oil ratio on the carburetor help? does anyone know how far to turn the adjustment screw?

it is oil injected. and it runs so perfect when I first take it out.

also.
    when I put the 3rd set of spark plugs in for the day and they immediately act as though they are no good, the ski will run, but it will not do much more than an idle
    I can punch the gas and it will respond for maybe 1 second then bog down. I can pull those plugs out and scratch them up with a knife and it will start to ride almost normal for a few minutes (but while I am scratching up the plugs the ski is turned off and parked on the beach [and cooling down] so idk)
    and this is all about the 3rd set of plugs for the day. is anyone allow to call me cause I will post my number?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome
    Posts moved to a new thread.

Are you using the correct NGK spark plugs for your engine? Exactly which spark plugs are you using?

The oil injection system is not user adjustable, but it is possible for it to be incorrectly configured. The swing arm on the oil pump must be positioned so that when you squeeze the throttle the oil arm rises on the left side of the oil pump (when looking down while facing forward). If the oil pump cable has been disconnected then the oil pump spring will cause the arm to swing underneath and end up hanging on the right hand side. If you just reconnect the cable with the arm on the right, then the oil pump will not work properly. Instead, it will simply pump oil at the maximum rate, all the time the engine is running.

There is a position marking on the oil pump arm that must be aligned with a mark on the oil pump body. This is adjusted so that the correct oil flow is set at idle position.

See my signature links for more useful information.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002Freedom View Post
    also.
    when I put the 3rd set of spark plugs in for the day and they immediately act as though they are no good, the ski will run, but it will not do much more than an idle
    I can punch the gas and it will respond for maybe 1 second then bog down. I can pull those plugs out and scratch them up with a knife and it will start to ride almost normal for a few minutes (but while I am scratching up the plugs the ski is turned off and parked on the beach [and cooling down] so idk)
    and this is all about the 3rd set of plugs for the day. is anyone allow to call me cause I will post my number?
    I am thinking the spark plugs are not the problem. My guess is that it runs OK because it was sitting and cooling down while you are changing the spark plugs.

Easy way to check. Just shut it down, then do NOTHING for 15 minutes, then see if it runs OK for a few minutes.

Tell us about the service history on this machine. Is it new to you?

Has the carburetor been rebuilt recently?

Has the fuel system been checked? No water or contamination in the fuel tank?

Has the fuel filter been checked/changed?

Are you using the choke correctly?

Where are you located? Update your Profile with your location. Helps others understand what conditions you are operating in.

new update: I just went and put it in the water and it pretty much acted like it had bad spark plugs. I worked with it for like 3 minutes and it just wouldn't go, even thought it had only been running today for a total of like 4 minutes. so....
    I put it back on the trailer (a little pissed off lol) and went to clean it off and when I hooked up the water hose to it, man it ran FINE. I could rev it up with no stall in it at all. sooo...
    could there be some kind of clog in the water intake and the motor heat up to the point that the rev limiter kicks in and makes me think that the spark plugs are bad?
    I am riding in Fort Walton Beach FL. we got pretty nice water here. I bought it 3 months ago from a guy who told me that the motor is BRAND NEW with like half an hour on it.
    the motor looks new and I rode the hell out of it for the first few weeks, then this problem gradually got worse and worse.
    I looked at the carb yesterday (and it is new just like the rest of the motor) and it looks super clean.
    I don't know where the fuel filter is. and yes choke is being used correctly. thanks for your response
    please let me know what you think

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information