1995 SL 750 - burned stator wires

I am new to all this so hope I dont say the wrong thing... I was recently washing my 95 sl 750 and i noticed smoke coming out of the hull. After inspecting what caused the smoke I found that my stator wire was burned. I just bought the ski and found the battery cover later in the ski. Is the damage already done or can I patch the wires with some good ol fashion electrical tape? I still get a spark but have not put any fuel through it as I am also repairing the common problems with this perticular model (fuel pump and oil block off kit). Thanks

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk! Since the wire is already burnt, that damage is already done. You can try replacing the wire from the stator to the electrical box in hopes that the stator itself wasn't damaged during the short. Stator test:http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98103

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystarr8 View Post
    I am new to all this so hope I dont say the wrong thing... I was recently washing my 95 sl 750 and i noticed smoke coming out of the hull. After inspecting what caused the smoke I found that my stator wire was burned. I just bought the ski and found the battery cover later in the ski. Is the damage already done or can I patch the wires with some good ol fashion electrical tape?

I still get a spark but have not put any fuel through it as I am also repairing the common problems with this particular model (fuel pump and oil block off kit). Thanks
    The oil pump is not a common problem, but many newcomers seem to think so. Make sure the oil hoses are in good condition or new, and properly connected and clamped.

Tip: Disconnect the battery before washing and generally messing around inside the hull. It is safer that way.

You need to inspect carefully what degree of damage has occurred to the wires. In many cases it is necessary to replace the damaged wire(s). You need the engine to be reliable, and a charred ground wire can fail at any time. If it breaks or shorts while you are on the water, the engine will not run. Hard to walk back home from the middle of the lake.

You may need to remove the stator (which is behind the flywheel on the front of the engine) to properly inspect the stator and replace the burned wiring (if that will be enough).

Oh yes, welcome
    Last edited by K447; 04-03-2013 at 07:41 AM.

+1
    Like was said you might get away with replacing the burnt wires. Same thing happened to my old 94 sl 750 last summer, the battery box got into the battery posts. Didnt know untill smoke was coming from the ski. We patched the wires, and it ran after but didnt work right once we put it in the water. Had more of a yellow spark. Turned out the stator was shot. Replaced the stator and harness and its running great now.

+1
    be sure to open your electrical box, and inspect all wires, grounds, etc.

I also doubt your stator will still be good. Usually this cooks them. It may run, but will be weak spark, and run poor.

Thread Information