Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Changed my oil for the first time today, god was it hard!

I changed the oil for the first time today in my 2011 RXT 260 IS. Getting the oil filter off and back on was the most annoying thing I have ever done. The torx was on there so tight that I had to call the dealer and get some advice. I tried for about an hour and got nowhere. They told me to put WD-40 on it for an hour and come back and just keep working at it. I finally got it loose. Taking the oil out was really easy, especially with the pump I got from west marine. Only had to pump it 3 times and the oil kept flowing. The tube is the perfect size for the dip stick. Here is the link for anyone who is interested http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...2#.UVtZnnB8s3E

Getting back to the oil filter. Tightening the torx was just as bad. There is so little room down there on an IS ski to turn the ratchet. You can only turn it about and inch if even. For those of you with IS ski's, how do you take your oil filter off so easily? The cap slid right out as I finally was able to undo the torx. Then when I put it back in and tried to pull it up again just to make sure I had it in right, the damn thing wouldn't come out. Just to make sure, the oil filter comes out attached to the cap right? I never want to go through this again. It took me about 3 hours to work on the filter. Saved me a boat load of money though. The ski took a whole gallon of oil too.

+1
    Dang, sounds like you can't access anything on that ski.
    I hear there a pita but never worked on one.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Ride your ski for 20-30 min and then check the oil.
    It should be 1/2 way between the marks on the dip stick.

I've seen a lot of over filled skis....

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    Ride your ski for 20-30 min and then check the oil.
    It should be 1/2 way between the marks on the dip stick.

I've seen a lot of over filled skis....
    Any harm that will be done? How much should and RXT 260 take?

+1
    A typical 4-TEC engine oil / filter change normally removes only 3.0 to 3.3 qts, and performing the Flood Mode procedure 2-3 times per the Owners Manual.

Too much oil is NOT good and causes foaming of the oil and will reduce overall performance. DO NOT let your oil level get above the top bend on the dip stick!

8. +1 by:

+1
    If it took 4 quarts I'll almost bet you it is overfilled. What I have done on my 4 tech motors is check the oil level the last time I ride it before I service them and make sure it is about half way between the 2 marks then when I service them I measure the amount of oil I take out and put back in the same amount.
    Last edited by moultrie rxp; 04-03-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moultrie rxp View Post
    If it took 4 gallons I'll almost bet you it is overfilled. What I have done on my 4 tech motors is check the oil level the last time I ride it before I service them and make sure it is about half way between the 2 marks then when I service them I measure the amount of oil I take out and put back in the same amount.
    Not 4 gallons, that would be way too much for sure. I originally put in 3/4 of the gallon just aka 3 quarts and let it run on the house for 2 minutes then let it sit for 30 seconds and checked the oil. I was getting below the add mark on the dipstick every time. I was confused.

+1
    If you did put all 4 quarts in the first 3 quarts might hardly show up on the stick the next I/2 to 3/4 of the quart might carry you over full. It realy depends on how much you get out. Monitor it and if you have to you can pull out a little to keep it below the full mark. I had an RXP 215 and it was a nightmare to get the oil right on the stick until I started measuring what I took out and putting the same back in. Worked out a lot better!!! What type of oil did you use??

+1
    Make sure the ski is sitting level when you check it.

That was the first thing I checked. Ended up sitting perfectly level. Im going to check it again before I take it out today.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information