Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Just bought a low hour 2004 RXP 215 that needs an engine. Any advice

Ski is clean but motor is locked. Apparently it got water in there somehow. Coolant level good and clean, oil same. Im not sure what route I want to go. Is there a rebuild kit available for these? Not worth it to buy a take out for $3000 and from reading I want to stay away from SBT motors.

Any advice

Banned User
    +1
    Pay the piper, sbt route, or sink it

5. +1 by:

There are more questions than answers here. The key question is why the engine locked up and what condition the various internal parts are in. The second key question is your mechanical skills and aptitude. If it were me, I would tear it down, and evaluate what all components I would need to rebuild it right.

These motors are expensive to rebuild. You can easily sink $2K on a rebuild to do it right. Could be more if block or head are wasted and cannot be reused in a cost effective manner.

For me, I know what I am doing, and know what I have when I am done, whereas going any other route means some uncertainty of what you might end up with, whether buying used, rebuilt from SBT, or rebuilt by anyone else. Plus I know what components I have in it, plus "updates" like using 2006+ flywheel bolts, 2007+ valves, 2008+ supercharger oiling mod, 2011+ supercharger internals, you name it. My personal skis were total rebuilds from trashed skis. I could have bought a used ski for a lower price than what I have in them, but I know what I have, and it is the good stuff, done right.

You have to make your own choice based on your abilities and pocketbook.

7. +1 by:

I think the block is good. No holes anywhere in the block. I have heard nothing but horror stories SBT. I feel fairly comfortable tearing into it, especially with a service manual in front of me. I have it on craigslist for $2500. Just trying to decide if I want to stick the money into it or move on. Its definitely worth more to a buyer complete.

Banned User
    +1
    2500 is a far cry IMO for a locked up ski. I recently bought an immaculate same yr ski with a ton of mods for 4500 with trailer

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TSteff View Post
    I think the block is good. No holes anywhere in the block. I have heard nothing but horror stories SBT. I feel fairly comfortable tearing into it, especially with a service manual in front of me. I have it on craigslist for $2500. Just trying to decide if I want to stick the money into it or move on. Its definitely worth more to a buyer complete.
    why is it locked up? tried cranking it over without spark plugs? maybe hydro locked?

+1
    spray PB in each cylinder, let it sit for about 1hr. Take the valve cover off (so you can watch things move and to make sure all the valves are where they should be) and try to crank the engine over with a 17mm socket on the SC nut going left. If it don't break free then you got a problem. I'd still rather take a locked ski with a good block and build that bitch like a brick shit house then buy someone elses beat do death ski.

I am with Sturm on this. I too had a hydro lock and followed the procedure to replace all the oil. It took me several hours, I only have a small hand pump, but it worked.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information