Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Virage Cylinder Rebuild

I have a 2002 Virage 1200 with low compression in the center cylinder. I would like to try to rebuild only that cylinder. Is this a good idea…., if so where is the best place to get parts and a manual to make the repairs. Is this a job that a home mechanic will average repair skills could handle. Any help with this would greatly appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Fuel injected or carburetor engine?

Have you visually inspected that cylinder yet?

What are your compression readings? Throttle should be held wide open while cranking.

See my signature links for some useful info.

Where are you located?

Is this machine new to you?

These 2-stroke red domestic engines are generally straightforward to work on. Be aware that they differ from a car engine in a number of important ways.

I did take the spark plug out and looked. I could see the piston which looks good from that vantage point. It looks the same as the other pistons. The 2 outside cylinders are 135 PSI and the center cylinder is 90 PSI. The guy we bought it from was up front about it. He said it had an issue and had had it check by a service center. There are the readings that were on the work order he gave me. We got it late in the summer and took it out and ran it for about 1/2 mile. It ran very well. We got it up to 55 mph for a brief time. It ran with no issues. It is a carburetor. It is the red engine. We are located in North Carolina, USA. I'll spend some time looking at your link. Thanks for your help.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by timbermike View Post
    I did take the spark plug out and looked. I could see the piston which looks good from that vantage point. It looks the same as the other pistons. The 2 outside cylinders are 135 PSI and the center cylinder is 90 PSI.

The guy we bought it from was up front about it. He said it had an issue and had had it check by a service center. There are the readings that were on the work order he gave me. We got it late in the summer and took it out and ran it for about 1/2 mile. It ran very well. We got it up to 55 mph for a brief time. It ran with no issues. It is a carburetor. It is the red engine.

We are located in North Carolina, USA.

I'll spend some time looking at your link. Thanks for your help.
    You took an engine with a known internal problem and ran it wide open on the water?

You cannot really tell much looking through the spark plug hole. A borescope is slightly better, but the best method is to remove the cylinder head and have a direct view. The water manifold must come off first, of course.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by timbermike View Post
    We are located in North Carolina,
    What area?

+1
    If you find you cylinder is scored up, I have Jugs for sale, just let me know.

Rocky Mount, NC

I took the head off the center cylinder and found some scoring on the cylinder wall. Although it’s not severe I would guess it’s the cause of the low compression. I would assume the next step would be a rebuild of at lest that cylinder. Although I did not do a visual inspection of the other cylinders I would hope if the compression is good that maybe I can rebuild only the center cylinder?

+1
    That much of a drop in PSI, its bad and hope you dont have other issues with the bottom end with those crank bearings on that mid cylinder, Low compression on PTO, ok but,its the mid, If it was me I would pull that motor and pull the crank to check bearings, look at it this way, you do this and spend the extra time sucks, but hey, better to do it right the first time and be out on the water for seasons not hours untill it blows and then your worse off then not, pull the cylinder and check for debree, if any, pull motor, if not put a nice jug and piston in there and go, but trust me, when you do work on it and you second guess yourself on maybes or what ifs, you will be out on the water wondering if i will have issues with this again.

+1
    I would go ahead and just swap that cylinder out. Ideally you should consider getting the cylinder renik'd, millenium technologies are among the best in the business http://www.mt-llc.com/ Also make sure you get a new cylinder base gasket and a set of new o-rings for the head. They can be re-used if in good condition but its only a couple of bucks considering the overall cost of the cylinder and piston will set you back around $350 best for peace of mind. Get the piston in a kit, ie, Piston, Rings, Circlips, needle bearing and Wristpin - do not reuse any of those parts!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information