Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Kawasaki 750 SXI Project input needed... thnx

I recently got myself a Kawi 750SXI with the intention to create a freestyle skate.

Being new to the sport, i am a little clueless on the necessary mods to start attempting to flip this thing.
    currently the ski is under a full paint job session. On the mean time i am brainstorming on the engine muscle to add.
    the current mods to my Kawi are:

Worx Ride plate
    Solas intake grate
    the stock engine came with a w(wing looking) brand cylinder head (not sure about brand)
    Odi Grip
    footholds

the engine i have not started it, since, when i got the ski it had a damaged cylinder ring (according to the seller).
    at this point i emptied the engine compartment and the ski is off to a make over.

Basically i want to get the best for the money, however i also like to a little over the top sometimes. Looking online i learned about the 1100 ZXI engine. Therefore, it came across my head to go with a moded 1100 swap.

i would like to please request your input on my project and obviously guidance into the unknown (for me) world of jet skis.

If someone has attempted the 1100 ZXI swap, i would appreciate your inputs on mods needed for swap. i would thing the engine base plate would need to be customized. for starters. Also your inputs on mods for the 750SXI engine would be awesome as well. the idea is to decide on the best set up for this project.

well its now your turn to share some knowledge with this newb....
    thankx for your input.

BTW.... Already aware of the SJ "superiority" (as per SJ owners) therefore please refrain from bringing this subject into this thread.. This is for a Kawi 750.... i would appreciate to keep your SJ opinion to yourself... thank you for your consideration.

+1
    If I were you, the first thing I would check is the crank - from the picks it looks line there could be a lot of rust inside your engine. If the "damaged cylinder ring" is a broken piston ring you will likely need your cylinders bored and new pistons.

It is a good thing that you defined your objective as "a freestyle ski," that is important as there are many race-only or speed-centered mods that you should avoid- topping the list is the ZXI 1100 engine conversion. The 1100 engine makes for a great RACE ski but is way too heavy for freestyle. You already have a high-compression aftermarket (WestCoast) cylinder head, so you are set there though it would be good to know what size your chambers are (what CCs). In the end, you want your static compression to be 170-175PSI to run on premium pump gas. Your best mods in order of priority are:

Exhaust pipe - Factory "wet" pipe or R&D "rec" (also known as "snail" pipe)
    Carb re-jet, may also want aftermarket flame arresters
    Aftermarket impeller (I prefer Skat-Trak)
    6 degree ignition advance plate (R&D)
    Lightweight flywheel or better yet - total-loss wheel and ignition (over the top, as you say)
    Rec porting
    Aftermarket waterbox (R&D or Factory Pipe)

I would also strongly suggest getting an aluminum handlepoll as the stock ones are notoriously susceptible to cracking and/or breaking.

As for total-loss ignition: many will tell you that it is a race-only mod and is too much of a hassle for a recreational ski.... to each their own, but I can tell you from experience that there aren't any other mods that will give you better "snap" off the bottom that a T/L flywheel and an Advent ignition. I've been running my SXI Pros and SXR on T/L for over 6 years and will never consider going back to stock. The bottom end snap is stunning, and it's ideal for freestyle. I will run all day on a full charge and for me it is way beyond "worth it."

On the pipe prefs, most will also push you toward Factory pipe which is a great pipe, but time and time again I have had better results with R&Ds REC/Snail pipe on small-pin 750 engines which is what you have. So again, to each their own.

All of these opinions are based on 20 years experience with 6 different 750 and a lot of help directly from some of the best in the industry including the Kawasaki Factory Race Team.

Best of luck with your 750!
    Last edited by ImpactSportsTV; 04-03-2013 at 10:43 AM.

@ImpactSportsTV thank you for the input i think i might have saved a couple of thousands on that engine. I think on the mean time i will rebuild my unit with the upgraded mods, and look into your sugestions to see where i get the most bang for the buck. i will get the Kawi back this monday from Paint, i will post some pics up. On the other hand, i already started looking into the handle pole.

I was designing my own including curbed aluminum midle pole for cabling, two engine breath tubes (one on each side of the aluminum structural pole), all surrounded by foam for buoyancy. And finally wrapped in carbon fiber.... or just goig with this < http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ferrerid=45478 >

Another question i had. Do you really need the trim system for the tricks or that's just to make life easier. It is about $700. therefore, if I can delay that, i would. Again, thank you for your input.

+1
    When it comes to freestyle set-ups it really becomes a matter of personal preference, so hopefully others will add their opinions to this. For trim, I feel it depends on where you plan to ride and what you have in mind for "tricks" - aerial barrel rolls? Backflips? Surf or flat water? I mostly freeride in surf, so trim is helpful but not necessary, For flat water tricks, it becomes even more helpful for aerial barrel rolls and mandatory for backflips.

A lot of us would be interested in seeing pics of the handle poll you described if you go that way.

Again best of luck and welcome to the forum!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ImpactSportsTV; 04-04-2013 at 12:02 PM.

+1
    I'd agree with everything impactsports said except for getting an aftermarket waterbox. I've never tried the factory pipe box but my west coast box doesn't add much power and just makes it loud as hell. But I could be wrong.. maybe r&d or factory pipe makes a better one.

If you do get a flame arrester, k&n makes nice ones

Good luck on your build and make sure to post lots of pics once its done!

+1
    Interestingly, the two I've had were Factory and R&D and I thought they were both pretty equal. You can mod a stock box with a long shank 1" drill into the intake, but in the end I still think the A/M ones out performed the modded stocker... and I do agree that excessive noise is NOT a good thing. Also, an aftermarket box will only really show significant gains after other mods are done I.E. pipe, good compression, etc.

+1
    thats a good point, mine might not be showing changes in performance since my pipe is not AM. I also just ordered the stock box to put back since the westcoast one was so loud. I could already tell that my neighbors would bitch about it, just thought i'd change it before they could complain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information