Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy My 1997 Yamaha Riva racing GP1200 will not give spark or gas, WHYYYYYY???

HI everyone,
    newbie here to the forum life, thanks for having me, any ways, the reason I'm here is to ask for advise on something that i cant get solved by myself and was hopping I can find some help here.

Here I go,
    bought a 1997 Riva racing GP1200 for a very comfortable price in the middle of winter here in PA, took it home and didn't worry about getting it started till now, weather and all, so I got the battery nice and charged and went for it, but no joy, I did the usual tricks to find out what was wrong, tested to see if there was a spark, reset the immobilizer on the cluster by disconnecting the one wire under the front storage compartment, I smelled for fuel in the carbs, ETC.. and nothing, thought maybe the Riva Racing Programmable CDI was gone form standing so long, apparently they suffer from this illness, so i replaced it with a stock CDI since they stopped making the Riva ones and the replacement cost almost a grand!, anyways, could someone please tell me what to do, if its the cluster or immobilizer, is there a way to eliminate that all together?, if its the computer how do I test it to be certain?......,

Going nuts, Please help.........

Thanks

+1
    So it cranks but won't fire up, correct? And you have no spark, correct?
    How did you test for spark (some methods are better then others)?
    The next step would be to test the stator. the specs and procedures are described in the service manual.
    And have you ran a compression test yet? If you buy a ski in the winter time, there is a good chance its being sold because its blown up.

Compression is good but there is no gas been sent anywhere either stater is sending pulse to the coil pack, it has a very strong crank, it feels like an immobilizer issue, what can I do to test this?

+1
    spray some starting fluid and check if it starts...maybe is too cold to start.

I tried that, and wouldn't it still have spark even if it too cold?
    And the carbs are bone dry, no smell of gas either, I want to see if there's a way to bypass the immobiliser to see if that's the kink, can someone explain how I do that please.?

+1
    If there was a code in it you may need to put a new code in it. if you don't know the procedure i can look in the user manual if i can find an old one lying around. if the motor is spinning the display should say START. if it is spinning over and is not firing on the plugs try looking under the front compartment and unplug the connector that has a white wire and black wire in it. it is a 2 wire plug. if it doesn't fire after that pull the electrical control box and locate the plug in there same color 2 wires and unplug them in there. if it doesn't fire then run a ground wire from the battery to the inside of the electrical box and attach it to one of the ground lugs in there. let me know what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    If there was a code in it you may need to put a new code in it. if you don't know the procedure i can look in the user manual if i can find an old one lying around. if the motor is spinning the display should say START. if it is spinning over and is not firing on the plugs try looking under the front compartment and unplug the connector that has a white wire and black wire in it. it is a 2 wire plug. if it doesn't fire after that pull the electrical control box and locate the plug in there same color 2 wires and unplug them in there. if it doesn't fire then run a ground wire from the battery to the inside of the electrical box and attach it to one of the ground lugs in there. let me know what it does.
    this sounds promising i am trying this first thing tomorrow morning Thanks mudslanger. I'll keep you posted.
    I reset the code on the head unit and when i enter it it says START, but I get nothing Ill try What you told me now and let you know how that turns out, Thanks again

so @mudslanger, I did what you told me to do and the only thing that I noticed different was that when i lock the ski it will not crank like before now it will only crank when i input the start code and get the beep, another thing that i came across was that the positive lead to the starter motor is very crispy and loose. thinking about taking it to the shop I'm afraid that i might screw something up worse if I continue tinkering with it.

don't know what I can do, a friend told me to take it completely apart and put it back together again and Ill find whats wrong.
    I not confident to do this

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha_jimenez View Post
    And the carbs are bone dry, no smell of gas either, I want to see if there's a way to bypass the immobiliser to see if that's the kink, can someone explain how I do that please.?
    If you have spark, its not an immobilzer problem. You said you tried starting fluid and it still doesn't run correct? Maybe try a spoon full of premix gas/oil down each carb. But of course be careful. If it still won't start with a little premix, then it must have weak spark or the spark is way out of phase somehow.

I have no spark NO gas just crank

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information