Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Anyone ever come off at 70+ with a helmet on?

about 2 years ago in front of Fred Howard park I saw two skis crash and one guy split his head wide open. That was the end of him. After I got my ski past 70 I started wearing a helmet. I have come off at 64mph when it was factory and had OPAS(first day I owned it) and that's the fastest I've ever come off. I wasn't wearing a helmet so it only dislodged my arm when the jacket caught the water.

Question is, what happens if I'm roaring around at 80 and I slip off and the helmet catches? There has to be someone that has come off 70+ with a helmet here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    about 2 years ago in front of Fred Howard park I saw two skis crash and one guy split his head wide open. That was the end of him. After I got my ski past 70 I started wearing a helmet. I have come off at 64mph when it was factory and had OPAS(first day I owned it) and that's the fastest I've ever come off. I wasn't wearing a helmet so it only dislodged my arm when the jacket caught the water.

Question is, what happens if I'm roaring around at 80 and I slip off and the helmet catches? There has to be someone that has come off 70+ with a helmet here.
    The helmet can act like a parachute. Make sure you are wearing the proper gear if you want to ride with it. If I rode with a helmet I would use a dirtbike style neck brace as well.

+1
    I use goggles with the helmet. Also my jacket is 10mm Gel to absorb impact. It is a fly racing helmet and has a break away strap that hooks into itself but I'm not sure it would do much good if water catches it.

+1
    We wear the moto cross style helmet in the races and there is usually at least one or two riders that go flying off there skis,
    Sometimes from bumping another rider and sometimes from catching a rail in a corner,
    I have been lucky enough that my helmet has never caught,
    Some of the racers wear a neck brace that keeps the helmet from twisting and catching,
    see below link,
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEATT-GP...#ht_2352wt_962.

+1
    I use a 5 strap made by Deets holds helmet in place if you hit the water and the water grabs helmet and pulls or twist on it system has been is use in drag boat racing IT WORKS

+1
    I use a 5 strap made by Deets holds helmet in place if you hit the water and the water grabs helmet and pulls or twist on it system has been is use in drag boat racing IT WORKS

The cost is around$90.00

7. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if you routinely ride in the danger zone of 50 mph +:

1-make sure you have life insurance to cover your loved ones in case of the worst
    2-make sure you have sufficient health insurance to cover yourself in case of the worst

as I'm sure you all know coming off a ski at 50+ means you have a good chance of a sever injury which might not be a head injury at all. Water is like concrete at those speeds if you get off.

I got derailed by a school of carp a few years back on a speed run and now limit my riding to sub50mph cruising, but I still enjoy a 300hp hole shot when I get the chance

I'm just too effin old (50+) to consider anything else.

I've been ripped off my 60 plus Sj and can tell yeah it don't feel good

Mike at optima racing sells some really nice lightweight carbon helmets that work awSome

+1
    I have come off my RXT X at about 80 twice in the last couple of months. We discovered the pump was stuffing as we broke 80 and would kick the back of the ski up and throw me over the handle bars. I wear a Fly Trekker helmet, I love this helmet it has a face shield and it is still slotted to use goggles as well. I always wear a neck collar as well.

The last time I came off it I was hovering near 80, the pump stuffed and I found my feet in the air above my head. My sun visor hooked the handle bars and it ripped it off. I was thrown over the bars and was swatted by the ski fairly hard. I can say that the helmet and collar saved my bacon. I wear a life vest with a hard plastic shield on the front and back and believe if you are going to ride at speeds between 70 and 80 you might consider this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post

+1
    The lifeline comp vest is the best on market it has impact material built in it. Lifeline will cut down the collar I think a thread was started on this vest by far the best vest on market

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information