03 gtx 4 tec makes a single click noise when trying to start

hello everyone.. my first time writing one of these so take it easy on me if i forget some stuff. i have a 03 gtx supercharged that gives me one click when i try to start it. this is what i did so far.. i got a new battery which reads the right volts. replaces the starter and relay. made sure i had 12 v through both the relay and to the starter. took the plugs out and made sure it wasnt seized up on me.. this thing ran fine last year, put it on the trailer and it sat now it wont start. no idea why.. theres no new key everything is the same as what it was.. any ideas would be awesome
    Last edited by robbie02; 04-17-2013 at 02:38 PM.

ok so here is a little update of what i found out so far about this problem...when i said it wasnt seized up that was from a dealer that checked it...so i decided to check it again for myself. pulled the plugs removed the grate and it spun fine. so i tried to start it with out the plugs in just to see if it would go.. wala all three pistons where firing..as soon as i put one plug in it started to click again..my thoughts are maybe the starter dont have enough crank power to turn it over with all the pressure..

check the ground wire. my old ski did the same thing. put a new battery and still did in. replaced the ground wire and she fired right up.

thats what i thought too. so i took the ground off cleaned the connection and still nothing.. i used jumper cables to try to start it i hooked the ground right onto the starter and i still got nothing

Quote Originally Posted by robbie02 View Post
    ok so here is a little update of what i found out so far about this problem...when i said it wasnt seized up that was from a dealer that checked it...so i decided to check it again for myself. pulled the plugs removed the grate and it spun fine. so i tried to start it with out the plugs in just to see if it would go.. wala all three pistons where firing..as soon as i put one plug in it started to click again..my thoughts are maybe the starter dont have enough crank power to turn it over with all the pressure..
    CHange the start relay...!!! its the one connection your positive cable between your battery and starter.

i already changed that... its what i started with cause it was cheaper

Now youve gotta check the starter. Safe and long way is to take our the starter. Connect it to a battery. Make sure it spins....!

Short but a bit dangerous was is to take the cable out of the start relay (the one that leads to the starter) and touch it to the positive side of the battery. If it turns, then we have to lpok at other stuff. If not, then go servixe your starter.

i had the starter all the way out hooked it up to my car battery with jumper cables and it worked.. then i hooked the positive wire to it and grounded it with the jumper cable and it worked... so the starter works... i noticed though when i took the plugs out to see if it was seized up, i tried to see if it would turn over and it did with no plugs in.... as soon as i put one plug back in it started clicking again...bought a new high torque starter and i will let you all know what the outcome is to it.

+1
    Have you cleaned he ECM pins and connectors?

alright so heres the end of this story... replaced the starter AGAIN with a high torque starter cleaned all ground wires and replaced a 5 amp fuse for the start/stop.....fired right up... thank you all for your help and suggestions

Thread Information