Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 XP Engine Problems - Need Help

Hello all,

My name is José and i am from Portugal! I am new to the forum, and have done some shearch but cant get conclusions for what is hapening to me. Realy need help as Summer is comming

I bought my 96 XP last year, after some minor maintenance i went with family to the lake for a week running, and everything was working great for one full week of riding, except some very little booging (power lost) at completly full thortlhe only. As soon as i relief a little the thortlhe the power lost goes away. That problem was realy minnor, and did not cause me any concern.

On the folowing weekend i went to the sea,...

Engines starts great and runs great as usual, but after 5 minutes or less running the pwc losses power, and i was even unable to put the pwc out of water. It boggs and looses power as soon as we get mid range revs,.... full thorthe and engine continues dead, ,..... return to idle and in the low revs i get some initial great engine power but as soon as i get in the mid range just before getting out of water engine deads again.

If i cool down the engine i can get 5 minutes again of normal riding, but soon the problems beggins again, exactly the same!

Out of water the PWC runs great starts great and revs up to the limit

My initial toughts was that in the sea there are a lot more of impacts and oscilations, and some dirty in the gas tank were getting in the fuel system as the pwc was old,....

But inspection on the tank reveals that there is no dirty inside, tank is in good shape!

what is the cause???

Problems with the RAVE valves?

Problems with carbs?

Problems with spark plugs?

Problems with some electrical component?

I will clean all filter however if it runs great in cold and outside water i dont belive that it is dirty,....same for spark plugs, and carbs,..

From were should i start?

Any opinion?

I thank you very much in advance for your inputs and help! Sorry about my bad English writting,....

Best regards,
    José Marques

+1
    Do you have the gray fuel lines? If so they probably ruined your carbs causing a lean condition. The gray tempo fuel lines Seadoo used back in the day break down and gum up the fuel system.

Do a compression test to make sure the the engine hasn't been damaged by a lean condition.

Report your findings and we will try to help ya!

Welcome to Greenhulk.

+1
    That what I was thinking same with gray lines.

I have desasembled the fuel filter, and only found some minor trash inside, but nothing gummy in the filter! I see and feel a little gummy aspect in the fuel lines, but i don´t belive that it is the main cause or the cause. Maybe inside the carbs there are a lot of gumm,... but i did´t remove them yet! I am afraid of removing them, i think i will send the PWC to a repair shop.

For the raves i have ispect them and they are obviously with carb/black deposits,... but also i dont see that could be from the raves!

Do you think that could be from the fuel pump that heats and looses performance?

Can you inidicate me a good shop on line to buyparts for my sea doo,... maybe i can enter in the adventure of removing the carbs!

I saw on other forum someone with the exact same description of what is hapenning to me, but no one reply to the guy,... i guess that this could be a commun problem with the XP sea doo users! Help me i would love to have the PWC ready for a family weekend soon! Sun is comming here!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

the little filter is plugged

the little fuel filters inside the carbs are plugged up. fix it before you blow up the engine.

this filter is located under the fuel pump ( square side of carb)

Name:  filter2.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  2.1 KB
    http://216.37.204.203/showmodel.asp?...&d=-CARBURETOR

the filter is #22, there is one on each carb.

in simple terms you are breathing thru a soda straw..you can sit in a chair and live..but try to walk and soon you will fall on your face..in a few minutes you can get up again.

the fuel lines have to be changed if they are gray..no exceptions!

you can get by for a weekend if you just clean the filters..but they will quickly plug up again.

fix it right. going to cost a couple of hundred dollars to have a shop do it.

you can find enough help here to do this yourself if you have some basic skills and tools
    Last edited by nmpeter; 04-05-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: added links

+1
    +1 You need to replace fuel lines and clean carbs. Also clean out or replace the fuel selector switch as it will be gummed up also. And while you're at it check with a volt meter at the battery and see if the voltage output to the battery is correct. Most of them I've worked on also have bad rectifiers.

+1
    On metering the voltage while running, you should have 13 to 15 volts, any thing more or less will cause ignition problems.

The gray tempo fuel lines are a ticking time bomb for your engine, replace them with 1/4 inch (6.33mm).

The carb internal filter must be cleaned, and the whole fuel system for that matter.

Check out your VIN/HIN no. With a local seadoo dealer for a fuel tank recall. They crack right where the fill hose hooks to it. This is can be a potential time bomb for you and your ski. Pressure test are very important when working on the fuel system. Most seadoo dealers can do this recall for ya at no charge. I have had both of my XP fuel tanks replaced under this recall.

In fact very usefull informations! Thank you very much for the help! It is true the carbs and the microfilters inside are completly blocked! In spite of the fuel lines seemed clean all will replaced! I would like to ask you about another issue that i belive it will be easy for you to reply here, and give me information.

I have been using the XPS oil, as i read that in this particular engine as it is a direct injection engine, a special oil must be used! The question is simple,.... it is realy necessary to use this oil, or can i use another fully syntethic oil? I belive that a mineral motor boat oil is not suitable, however a normal fully syntetic motor boat 2 stroke oils should be ok!

What is your opinion and your sugestion of oil brands? The XPS oil is a little expensive here in Portugal, and my sea doo drinks a lot of oil!

Thanks again for all the info and support!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    a 96 xp does not have direct injection, nor does it call for the synthetic oil as the 787/951 series do. The oil is expensive in the US also!

If you are using XPS mineral oil that's fine, avoid using outboard motor oil..not so good. If you change brands, make sure the tank is almost empty and do not mix Yamaha oil with anything else. It's been reported to clump and damage engines.

I like the Kawasaki semi-synthetic oil myself..smells like the old days...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information