Waveblaster wont turn over-newbie-help!

Came across a 1995 Yamaha Waveblaster that was partially submerged in super storm Sandy here in NY. I hear clicking from the electonics box when I hit start button but starter does not turn. Took starter out, kept it hooked up to original cables and starter spinned great when I hit start button.
    What can be issue? (When I hand crank the impeller shaft(spark plugs removed) the pistons ride smoothly up and down-(pistons not seized.)
    I stick my finger in hole where starter came out of and I feel gear teeth and I can finger turn this gear.

How does the starter engage "flywheel"? (not like a car where the starter gear flys out and engages flywheel) right? What else can be the issue? What voltage should be hitting the starter? (had 11v)

(I have carb all taken apart and soaking some parts in vinegar to start to decrust the salt corrosion).
    Thanks!!!

+1
    Next step is to get your meter out and test from the terminal on the starter & negative on the battery. Hit the start button and see if you have 12 DCV to the starter. If not, your starter solenoid is bad..! They are like $30-40.

If you have 11-13 DCV to the starter and nothing happens with it installed and it runs when out. You will have to remove the flywheel and replace the starter bendix. Those are around $90-130. Your taking the right steps. You ruled out that there is power to the starter. It is just not cranking over. You know the engine spins freely, so therefore the bendix would be your problem.

beware, salt water will wreak havock on anything electronic....make sure that the engine does not have salt water in bottom end. Best thing to do is pull engine, crack case and see if there is any damage. Could run for years, could run for 2 minutes\

Don

+1
    The starter was more than likely the problem from the beginning. Pulling it caused the brushes to contact the armature kind of like bumping it with a hammer. I would put it back in to see if it will turn the motor unless the starter was just spinning and not engaging the bendix from the beginning.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    The starter was more than likely the problem from the beginning. Pulling it caused the brushes to contact the armature kind of like bumping it with a hammer. I would put it back in to see if it will turn the motor unless the starter was just spinning and not engaging the bendix from the beginning.
    If it turns and engages, I'd remove again and rebuild or replace.Kinda hard to hit with a hammer out on the water!LOL

Cant thank you guys enough! excellent suggestions---ill re-verify voltage hitting starter and then either reinstall starter and try again or take apart Electonics box and check starter solonoid. If its any further than that--I scared!!! NY

update--getting 11volts to starter. starter runs great out of craft. Re installed starter --just get starter solinoid /relay clicking--starter doesnt turn motor over--Bendix frozen? Can I do anything to check bendix? shoot WD-40 into starter hole? Take lower case off to access bendix while motor still in craft? 1995 Waveblaster--Thanks!!!?

Thread Information