Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Problem with my 2001 Virage 700 start/stop button

Hey everyone, I have found much info here for the Polaris I recently acquired, and I really appreciate the site and the members. Finally got the Ski running today in the garage and she didn't want to quit. When I pressed the stop button she kept on running. Had to pull the lanyard key to get it to stop. Seems I read in a thread somewhere here on GH, that the dual purpose start/stop button pulsed something electronically to stop the motor.

Can someone send me down the right path on this issue? I have a couple manuals downloaded but could find no troubleshooting for this issue....Thanks in advance from sunny Lake Placid, Florida on Lake Carrie
    Last edited by Old Stan; 04-04-2013 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Spellin'

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    There is an LR module known as the Start/Stop module. See my signature links for more info on how it is bypassed for testing. On the 2001 model I think it is located inside the electrical box.

It is possible yours has been disconnected or re-connected incorrectly.

+1
    I have the same problem with mine but half the time the button will work and half the time i end up pulling the lanyard. i didnt think it would be a bad connection to the button since its never had a problem starting. any ideas?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ's gpr View Post
    I have the same problem with mine but half the time the button will work and half the time i end up pulling the lanyard. i didnt think it would be a bad connection to the button since its never had a problem starting. any ideas?
    Do the LR Start/Stop module bypass test and see if you can suss out the culprit.

It is possible the LR module is failing in a marginal manner whereby it is barely able to signal the CDI to shut down.

Or it could be a wiring problem somewhere. Weak connection, bad ground, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    There is an LR module known as the Start/Stop module. See my signature links for more info on how it is bypassed for testing. On the 2001 model I think it is located inside the electrical box.

It is possible yours has been disconnected or re-connected incorrectly.
    Thanks K, I will open the electrical box today and check the wiring connections and do the bypass to test the module. Will get the number off the module as well for replacement if needed. This is a great site and I appreciate the help, and thats why I decided to join. By the way, is there a way to help support the site by donation or something like that? Thanks..Stan

Finally got around to replacing the start/stop module and sho nuff, that fixed it. Now I'm having a problem with rev limiting around 2-3K rpms and backfiring. I cleaned and rebuilt the carb but still experiencing the same problem. Looked at the reeds with a mirror while I had the manifold off and saw no problems there. I've not had the Ski in the water this season as this issue showed up right away when I got down to Fl. in October of 2014. Ran fine in April 2014 when I left Florida so didn't expect any problems.

I guess I should replace the last season fuel with fresh non ethanol to start with as the summer heat here tends to cook the fuel. I don't recall if I added Stabil to the gas before I left in April or not. Fresh gas wont hurt a thing and might just help. Thanks for the great advice and I'll check back with what I find on my problem.

+1
    Rev limiting can be caused by a stuck Reverse switch. The CDI will limit the engine to about 3500RPM if it thinks the Reverse lever is engaged. There is a sensor switch on the lever mechanism inside the hull.

If the MFI display is working then moving the Reverse lever should trigger a Reverse warning on the display. The switch that triggers RPM limit also triggers the display.

If your model has PERC electric reverse motor instead of a manual reverse lever then the reverse sensing switch is part of the reverse motor box.
    Last edited by K447; 02-26-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks K447 Man I sure appreciate this site and your expert advice., I'll check that as soon as it stops raining...........Stan

Yep, you are right again K447. The reverse switch was the culprit. Revs fine now. Thanks as always for the expert advice. Stan

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Stan View Post
    ... is there a way to help support the site by donation or something like that?

Thanks..Stan
    We operate on the pay it forward system

If you can stick around the Greenhulk forums or come back to visit from time to time and help others, that is always appreciated. There are always new arrivals looking for answers, needing a few pointers to get started, where to find info, etc.

Or perhaps help someone in the local world around you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information