Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Out of curiosity, why does the washer mod kill skis?

Im about to buy a SCOM here, and I was wondering what is it about the washer mod that grenades skis and not SCOMs? Do to SCOMs provide a new fuel map?

Banned User
    +1
    The same way the scom does.washer mod just does it faster. There is no true safe way. The closet to safe way is the Aussie scom since it does not mess with things untill after 67 mph. There is still risk with a scom more so for people that hold it wot for hours at a time or race. Then a rec rider.

If you want guaranteed reliability don't modd it.

What is the Aussie scom?

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    The same way the scom does.washer mod just does it faster. There is no true safe way. The closet to safe way is the Aussie scom since it does not mess with things untill after 67 mph. There is still risk with a scom more so for people that hold it wot for hours at a time or race. Then a rec rider.

If you want guaranteed reliability don't modd it.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    You can get them from a few places here in Australia. It's the one I use. I got mine from Denny at jetskiworld.com.au

Send them an email if you are interested as I don't think they have an online shop.

Cheers, Mal.

+1
    Why Aussie SCOM rather than r&d or Riva?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTRA3N View Post
    Why Aussie SCOM rather than r&d or Riva?
    I explained it in my post #2

It's pass through until 66-67 mph so it's not messing with the Ecu until then. R&D - Riva is a constant signal manipulating the Ecu through the entire range.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    The timing curve for the engine uses the craft speed as an input, in stock form it pulls timing at wot after hitting the limiter, if the ecu thinks its going less than full speed then it won't pull timing. At 42 or whatever the washer mod makes the wheel read the timing curve is really advanced because the engine is still trying to accelerate. At wot and full rpm you don't want the same amount of timing as when the rpms are building. The Aussie version reads correct and stock until just before the limiter kicks in, then it clamps the signal there. It may not just be timing but its the same deal if fuel is included as well. Basically if you do the washer mod the curve is in the wrong place at the wrong time, the riva and rd scom always reads higher which is safer, the Aussie version reads safer until just before the limit and clamps it there, its the safest. As for why the number one cylinder chokes first, if I were guessing its because the ecu has a slightly different curve for that cylinder for fuel and timing, not uncommon in kawi land, the ultra 150 used three different Carb settings and three different timing curve, in the zx12r it was 4 fuel and 4 timing maps.

Sean
    Last edited by smokeysevin; 04-07-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    I still think this is a little fishy (no proof as I have the Aussie SCOM and never tried the washer mod). I just can't see Kawi using speed as a fuel and timing input. I wouldn't expect the speed limit is controlled by timing either. I'd say throttle valve manipulation for sure.

Anyone reading this I would use the Aussie SCOM though. Not worth the risk if I'm wrong.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Then why would the washer mod kill the number one piston?

I'm not arguing I'm just basing my knowledge of other Kawi stuff to make the claim. Fuel would be a bad choice but on the zx12r the ecu uses speed and gear position to tweak fuel and spark slightly. On the jetski the rpm curve is directly related to the speed so while you wouldn't fully base the ecu on the speed, it would be relatively safe to have a "timing trim" or a small multiplier on the timing table based on speed. That all being said you are correct, the quickest way to limit a speed would be to close the throttle slightly and on an electronic throttle like the 300 has its really simple to do, but again, I don't think that would hurt the motor.

And before anyone posts it, it's not crank twist, the timing rotor is on the number one cylinder, it doesn't work that way. Furthermore, I have yet to see anyone post up any proof of a 300 or any other Kawi with a twisted crank.

Again Mal, I'm not trying to argue because there is no way to be sure unless you put a scope on it or take a datalog. These are just what I know based on other Kawi products and a lot of ecu research.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Again Mal, I'm not trying to argue

Sean
    Why not argue with Mal? It is very fun, cool, and the "in" thing to do!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information