Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

trailer weight issues, please help!!!!

Okay i have got a galvanized double in great shape but the problem is weight distribution and trailer bounce. As far as the bounce goes i am ordering new wheel/tire combo from eastmarine.com that is 6 ply rated at 1045 per tire (current tire rating is 760 per tire, no bueno!!!) since im towing an estimated 1600 lbs in skis (00 xl800, 05 fx cruiser ho) and im guessing the trailer weight to be 200-300 lbs, total gross weight being an estimated 1900 lbs with skis on full fuel. Now the weight distribution is the larger issue im having trouble bringing the skis closer to the tongue because the trailer layout is a steel bar mounted horizontally near the tongue with two posts mounted vertically off of that bar and when i begin to crank the skis in the bar just flexes to the skis as opposed to the skis coming inward on the bunks. Am I better off moving the bar closer to the tongue and welding a horizontal post support, or leaving it stay put and modifying the trailer to move the axle back 6 inches and adding weight ( a toolbox) to the tongue?

I will post photos of the tongue and trailer setup when my fiance gets back home with my phone.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is the entire trailer really sufficient for the weight you are putting on it?

It sounds like the trailer is kinda flimsy and has limited adjustability.

A couple of thoughts:

Verify the trailer is rated for the weight you are carrying. If the old tires rated 760# each where the original tires, the trailer frame etc may not handle the weight, regardless of the new tire rating.

When the bunks are wet and the skis semi floating, the winch may not flex so much and the skis may come farther forward.

Moving the axles back will increase tongue weight and improve tracking...but make sure this is not a band aid on a trailer that was not intended to carry so much weight.

If moving the axles requires welding, some shops may not wish the weld galvanized steel...there are health issues to be taken into consideration. It can be done if proper precautions are taken, or thrown to the wind!

Adding a weight to the tongue (tool box etc) surely will add tongue weight, but be sure you don't exceed the gross vehicle weight of the trailer. About 150-200 # tongue weight may be just about right.

The trailer hauled just fine with our old 1997 gp760 and 00 xl800, but when we added the longer fx cruiser ho we started to notice issues, so it seems to be a weight distribution issue mainly. This is a used trailer and the manufacturer stickers are worn so im not sure how to determine the trailer load rating.

+1
    This is the traditional old school 2 place trailer... My advise would be to sell it and get a newer trailer. The problem you have is the skis are longer than what it was ever designed for and hang way off the back.

You could probably make it work but I'm guessing it will take a lot of money to make it work safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeypwc View Post
    A couple of thoughts:

Verify the trailer is rated for the weight you are carrying. If the old tires rated 760# each where the original tires, the trailer frame etc may not handle the weight, regardless of the new tire rating.

When the bunks are wet and the skis semi floating, the winch may not flex so much and the skis may come farther forward.

Moving the axles back will increase tongue weight and improve tracking...but make sure this is not a band aid on a trailer that was not intended to carry so much weight.

If moving the axles requires welding, some shops may not wish the weld galvanized steel...there are health issues to be taken into consideration. It can be done if proper precautions are taken, or thrown to the wind!

Adding a weight to the tongue (tool box etc) surely will add tongue weight, but be sure you don't exceed the gross vehicle weight of the trailer. About 150-200 # tongue weight may be just about right.
    No, the tires/wheels are not the original tires/wheels. They are different manufacturers, load rating is the same but one is 60 psi max and the other is 50 psi max -- my reason for upgrading to the proper rated wheel/tire combo

Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    This is the traditional old school 2 place trailer... My advise would be to sell it and get a newer trailer. The problem you have is the skis are longer than what it was ever designed for and hang way off the back.

You could probably make it work but I'm guessing it will take a lot of money to make it work safely.
    So no way to safely use this trailer? I ask because I dont have a free 1k to just grab another trailer right now. So if it is so unsafe the skis will sit until I am able to save the money. I was thinking new leaf springs, the proper tires and a little weight at the tongue would solve my issues. But if this is not the case then i guess that is just the reality.

+1
    So a new axle setup is about 300 bucks (I just bought one) this included leafs, hubs, shackles, mounts ect. If you can go that route I'm sure the trailer would be ok with the weight, but without seeing it hard to be confident. Really if you look at most boat trailers they always look under built.

If it was me first thing I would do is measure the eye to eye on the leaf mounts and see what they are and see if you can get new off the shelf leaf springs that will fit it.

Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    So a new axle setup is about 300 bucks (I just bought one) this included leafs, hubs, shackles, mounts ect. If you can go that route I'm sure the trailer would be ok with the weight, but without seeing it hard to be confident. Really if you look at most boat trailers they always look under built.

If it was me first thing I would do is measure the eye to eye on the leaf mounts and see what they are and see if you can get new off the shelf leaf springs that will fit it.
    Im running whats seems to be 26.5" leafs, I only know that because my plan was new wheels/tires, new springs and adjusting the horizontal bar originally. It seems like this will be my most cost effective and safe way to remedy my issue. It seems to me that axle relocation should be a last resort, am I correct in thinking this?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information