Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Is the ribbon delete really worth it on 2012 FX SHO Cruiser?

Seems like a pain. I have it sitting in front of me deciding if I want to do it, lol. If it is does anyone have a link to some good pictures? Thanks

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragdaddy71 View Post
    Seems like a pain. I have it sitting in front of me deciding if I want to do it, lol. If it is does anyone have a link to some good pictures? Thanks
    Yes it is worth doing, But the intake manifold and the throttle body has to come out.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Yes, yes, yes! Just did it to my 2013 FX SHO, and had previously done it to my 2012 FX HO. In both cases smoothed out and cleaned up off idle response, as well as fattened mid range pull, maybe 100 rpm on top too. SHO definitely feels smoother and verrry nice... The FX HO was fairly easy, the FX SHO more time consuming but still straightforward.

Do a search for ribbon delete, quite a few useful threads on this forum, with pictures (thanks guys!). I referred to them all, and stuck my thoughts regarding the SHO, having done it just recently, on the end of this one:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68306

I used the Riva sleeve on the NA motor, and the R & D on the SHO... (no particular reason, just what I ordered at the time). I have, but not yet fitted, the CFM intercooler spacer - still thinking about whether that actually is a good idea.

Put aside the 4 hours, it's worth it.

chrs jc
    Last edited by zone5; 04-06-2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Typo

+1
    +1

This is a must do modification

+1
    PS Riva instructions have excellent diagrams, but take the manifold off using sequence outlined by R&D...

Banned User
    +1
    We did all of the Stage 1 mods to my friends FZS and did the ribbon delete last. Since we took out the ribbon, its all over the limiter now from holeshot all the way up. Makes a big difference.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Can I ask since the thread is started is it a must do on the VXR as well...I am happy to be all stock but if it gives it a little boost why not as long as warranty and reliability are not compromised...you just sometimes hear of issues popping up when people start modding...now I know these types of people do not always do what is necessary...with ribbon delete on VXR there is nothing else that needs to be done correct?

Thanks

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCanuck View Post
    Can I ask since the thread is started is it a must do on the VXR as well...I am happy to be all stock but if it gives it a little boost why not as long as warranty and reliability are not compromised...you just sometimes hear of issues popping up when people start modding...now I know these types of people do not always do what is necessary...with ribbon delete on VXR there is nothing else that needs to be done correct?

Thanks
    IMO all you're doing with these sorts of mods is removing the detuning componets of the craft rather than pushing the engine just a little more.

12. +1 by:

+1
    A VXR would be the same as my FX HO - just normally aspirated so not extra "boost", rather simply removing a restriction that limits not just performance but in my opinion the smooth running of the motor at low and mid range rpm's.

It's the equivalent of a sock stuffed down your intake... OK, that's an exaggeration but everything is better without it. I'm not sure Yamaha would put it there if the US Coastguard didn't require it.

It made enough of a difference to the NA (read VXR) motor that I have no further plans to mod - it's my wife's ski, and she loves it!
    Last edited by zone5; 04-07-2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: addit

+1
    Well I did get it removed yesterday, it was a pain but not too bad. I am doing the stage 1 kit, ribbon delete, rear exhaust, intercooler upgrade and cooling sstem upgrade. Anything that's a must do while I have it this far apart? I am trying to keep it extremely reliable for a long trip so nothing toooo crazy.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information