Help for possible purchase please 2005 RXT 140 Hours

A little background...we just purchased our lakehouse last summer and have never owned PWC's. We bought our boat last year and this year we want to purchase two pwc's. We have two small children (10 and 7). So we are leaning towards buying one new ski (probably a 2012 Seadoo Wake 155) and one less expensive supercharged one that dad can take out and have more fun on. We are doing this of course for financial purposes as two brand new ones will put us over 20K.
    So to the point I guess...we have located a 2005 RXT with 140 hours on it. According to the seller the ceramic washers were replaced before there were any issues. The price is $3600 including the trailer. Cosmetically it is in great condition. The seller is bringing it to us today to put in the water. My husband is pretty mechanically inclined and knows engines etc, but of course has never looked at pwc engines.

1. Can anyone tell me what we should look for when he brings it out. We won't have the ability to do a compression test. But is there anything we can eyeball or listen for to tell us whether this is an ok machine. We realize that it is a slight risk, however the cheapest equivalent we can find after TONS of looking in our area is $6900. We will be ok if we just get a two years out of it, and then will probably purchase another newer/new one.

2. Let's say we DO purchase it and the engine goes halfway through the summer, can someone tell me what the approx cost would be to rebuild it worst case scenario? We would take it to someone to have it redone, as we try to reserve lake time for playing and would hate to have hubby spending his time doing mechanical work. I am trying to figure out the math here. If everything that could go wrong does, where am I going to be financially on this ski? If I have to pump $4000 into it, but I have a completely rebuilt ski for $7600 that seems like the better deal to me (compared to the $6900 one that has 70 hours on it) I could be WAY off here, hence the reason I am asking for your advice.

Again, thank you for your time and willingness to share your expertise

+1
    The seller should be willing to allow you to take it to a professional shop and have it checked out..If not, the deal isnt worth doing....Run away....

Or see if one of us board members lives close to you who can meet you and have a look at it.....

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    overpriced..I have a 2007 gti se with 70 hours on it for $4500....a compression test is a Must on any purchase. 2005 modles need to have flywheel bolts replaced. They tend to snap off. Shop on model year...not hours. Kbb.com and nada.com for average values.

keep looking and welcome to gh ring me up if you like. I.ll be happy to chew with you for a few minutes on specifics. Find a local shop to do an inspection to avoid paying way too much.

+1
    +1 on the flywheel bolts but must of the time I believe that only happens on modded ski's, if the SC was in deed updated for before failure that's good, if not real bad run, like Tiny said have checked out at a dealer of your liking not he's

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    overpriced..I have a 2007 gti se with 70 hours on it for $4500....a compression test is a Must on any purchase. 2005 modles need to have flywheel bolts replaced. They tend to snap off. Shop on model year...not hours. Kbb.com and nada.com for average values.

keep looking and welcome to gh ring me up if you like. I.ll be happy to chew with you for a few minutes on specifics. Find a local shop to do an inspection to avoid paying way too much.
    +1 my friend just bought a 2005 RXT and just a few hours into it the flywheel bolt snapped. At least I believe that is what happened without looking at it, there is a huge hole in the engine.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    flywheel bolt shears make little holes..connecting rods make the big ones.

While it's said that the bolts don't shear off that often.....why take the chance?..far less expensive to do em before things go bad.

I lost a nice job last year when the owner didn't agree with me about replacing both sets of flywheel bolts on his twin engine boat. granted it was big money, but I was going to have to pull one engine anyway to fix a crank sensor. Told him if he wasn't replacing the bolts, there was no way I could give him any kind of warranty on any work I did ( well I did offer my "as soon as you see the engine run and take it off the lot" line)

On older skis it's foolish not to heed what has been noted over the years as trouble areas. If you can't afford it..well that's another story..can't afford a small fix..how would a new engine sound...

+1
    +10

Thread Information