Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

So.......I Bought A 98' Yamaha XL1200 On Friday.....And On Saturday It Took A Shit!!

I Bought A 1998 Yamaha Xl1200 this past friday....Befor I made the purchase I took my tools with me to check the compression and so on...compression on all 3 pistons was 140....everything worked perfect as the seller posted....bought it and took it home........went to canyon lake saturday morning ,It ran fine for 4 hours,me and the family were having a blast......then it shut off on me going about 62mph(according to the spedo guage but dont know how accurate that is) and it was beeping real loud...I was like(WTF now?)...started it back up and it only would go up to 10mph......got to shore....pulled the spark plugs to make sure they were firing and they all were........checked the compression on all all 3 cyliders .......first cylinder was at 120,middle cylider read 10psi,last cylinder was at 120......(god Damn It!!!!!!!!)........come to find out this morning something is wrong with the oil pump(turn the pump and nothing comes out of the lines).........so now I got tear this bitch down(which is not a problem).........I decided Im just gonna replace all the rings on the 3 pistons and convert to premix.....sorry for such a long story just needed to vent.

had same issue with mine.....brought mine to repair place near me to get carbs done...guy forgot to install the oil line on carb plate...ran it and no compression on one cylinder. Guys making good on motor and now premix it all.

never an issue again....Now I go to a real shop (Lacey Powersports) where those problems don't exist.

Don

So I took engine apart this morning,oh did i find a pot of gold inside.........middle piston is destroyed and center cylinder wall is scored......

im dopping off the tripple jugs to get the middle cylinder bored over 1.0 and bigger piston and just replacing the other rings in the 2 good pistons....but what i wanna know is ,is it ok to do this on a yamaha........I did it on my polaris sltx last year with center piston 1.0 over and the other 2 pistons stock and it runs perfect....but dont know if yamaha needs all 3 cylinders bored over???

Banned User
    +1
    Generally when you get damage on a piston by the exhaust port, its a lean burn down, caused by clogged carbs. Its one of the most common things we see on this forum. "I bought a used ski, took it to the lake, and it blew up on me"

I would take the carbs off and clean them out and rebuild them. I would be willing to bet you find the internal filter of that center carb plugged up with crap.

The oil pumps need to be turning relatively fast before you can see them actually pump oil. As long as all of the oil lines were intact, I highly doubt you had an oiling failure.

As far as the cylinder, bore it to the smallest oversize that it will clean up at.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Generally when you get damage on a piston by the exhaust port, its a lean burn down, caused by clogged carbs. Its one of the most common things we see on this forum. "I bought a used ski, took it to the lake, and it blew up on me"

I would take the carbs off and clean them out and rebuild them. I would be willing to bet you find the internal filter of that center carb plugged up with crap.

The oil pumps need to be turning relatively fast before you can see them actually pump oil. As long as all of the oil lines were intact, I highly doubt you had an oiling failure.

As far as the cylinder, bore it to the smallest oversize that it will clean up at.
    Yea if figured it was a lean meltdown........also how fast does the pump need to spin to pump oil out of the lines because i connected it to a drill and no oil is comming out of any of the lines?

Quote Originally Posted by DanielDucati View Post
    Yea if figured it was a lean meltdown........also how fast does the pump need to spin to pump oil out of the lines because i connected it to a drill and no oil is comming out of any of the lines?

Personnally I would forget about the oil pump by removing it, put a cover over the hole and premix. At least you will be 100% sure you are gettting oil after the build.

9. +1 by:

I would also go ahead and split the cases, inspect all the bearings, and ensure none of that metal is in the case or you could wind up pulling the motor again soon. It is not that much more work being that you already have the engine out. You will need to install new seals though and buy some Threebond sealant.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyrocks3 View Post
    Personnally I would forget about the oil pump by removing it, put a cover over the hole and premix. At least you will be 100% sure you are gettting oil after the build.
    Yea,Im gonna leave the oil pump off,wish I would of converted it to premix the day i bought it......You would think i would of learned my lesson already since i own 3 jetskis prior to buying this yamaha,and all of them had this happen to them....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information