1997 Polaris 900sl rebuild questions about pre mix and choke

Hello,

Im new to the forum, I recently got a 1997 polaris 900sl from craiglist for free the owner told me that the ski run about a year ago but he thought the starter was bad. Well I found a burnt ground wire and some broken motor mounts so I pulled the motor I checked compression and it was good so I went forward with fixing it.

I know got the motor back in I went with pre mix and I can get the motor started.

But I have a couple of questions

1. The choke cable seems to long or I havent put it back in properly does anyone have a picture of how it connects to the carb and how it should look?

2. I have a clear vacuum tube that goes all the way to the back of the ski and I dont know where is get connected, there is a second one that i connected under the shaft but this one is longer?

3. Since I went pre mix how do I trick the display to show the there is oil?

4. And last it seems that the display switches alot and a red light is flashing at the top but the rpm works and the clock and the fuel gauge but I dont know how to set the time on the display.

Any help would be great thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

See my signature links for many answers.

2 is the battery vent tube. Only used if you have the old school lead-acid type battery, which will have a vent nipple on the battery.

3 requires a 33 ohm resistor connected inside the electrical box, where the oil sender wire used to connect.

4 the red lamp is warning, probably caused by the low oil signal. See the MFD section from my signature for MFD operating instructions.

Do read the sections on domestic motor Ignition Update Kit and the thin black ground wire delete.

Thanks for the info I will read the ignition update kit.

As for the oil signal couldnt I connect the resistor to the wires off the oil tank?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by shake and bake View Post
    ... As for the oil signal couldnt I connect the resistor to the wires off the oil tank?
    Yes, you can unplug the oil sender and connect the resistor to the oil sender wires from the electrical box. The resistor would have to be solidly connected so it cannot shake apart and of course waterproof sealed.

It is just tidy and reliable to add the resistor inside the electrical box. If you have not inspected inside the electrical box yet, that it always a good thing to do (with the battery disconnected).

Thanks I will doing a test ride on Wed.

Thread Information