Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1995 Polaris SLT 750- how to waterproof wiring???

Thanks to Drkvampire2001, I got a mfd for my slt 750. My wiring to start with had straight connectors with no heat shrink on them outside the computer box. I heat shrink them, but as soon as i put it in the water my mfd stopped working. Today i followed the wiring and found under the motor was more straight connectors exposed. I heat shrinked them the best i could because it was hard to reach. Is this the best way to water proof???

+1
    I would think that yes that is the best way, if you need to get to those wires easaier, try to trace them to the box, unplug them and remove them, then you can get to them better

Banned User
    +1
    I would re route the wires to get them out of the bottom of the hull. Any connectors in the wiring of that model are definitely not stock.

+1
    Someone must have cut stator wires.

Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    I would think that yes that is the best way, if you need to get to those wires easaier, try to trace them to the box, unplug them and remove them, then you can get to them better
    These straight connectors are a few inches from where it plugs in somewhere under the motor. Does it go to a plug that unplugs? If so, that would be awesome, It was hard to see when i was trying to shrink wrap the connectors

+1
    nothing should plug in, under the motor, the only thing I could think is the stator wires thats the only thing that might be routed under the motor( but should not be under the motor) un hook them out of the electrical box, and get them out of there if possible, can you take a picture of where it goes into the electrical box? so we can see wire colors to confirm what infact it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    nothing should plug in, under the motor, the only thing I could think is the stator wires thats the only thing that might be routed under the motor( but should not be under the motor) un hook them out of the electrical box, and get them out of there if possible, can you take a picture of where it goes into the electrical box? so we can see wire colors to confirm what infact it is?
    All the wires are running from the electrical box, on the right side toward the gas tank, then around the front of the motor and feels like it runs into something that looks like a small alternetor on the front left side of the motor. It is hard to see because it is under the exhaust pipe thing. I think they are all shink wrapped pretty good, but i really need to remove the exhaust thing, if that is what it is. Then i tied the wires straight up so they would not lay in the bottom of the hull.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmd13 View Post
    These straight connectors are a few inches from where it plugs in somewhere under the motor. Does it go to a plug that unplugs? If so, that would be awesome, It was hard to see when i was trying to shrink wrap the connectors
    The stock wire harness from the magneto stator to the electrical box is a long wire bundle that runs directly from inside the flywheel housing to the electrical box. There are no connectors under the engine or at the engine.

It sounds like someone wanted to remove the engine from the hull and did not want to bother extracting the other end of the wire bundle from the electrical box grommet seal. That seal is a very snug clamp on the wires and some people do not know how to get it apart.

For reliability, you need those reconnect wires to have zero corrosion and water inside the connections.

It sounds like the only way for you to do the job properly is to lift the engine out. Then you can use proper waterproof adhesive heat shrink butt connectors.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	297403 THese same connectors were the one under the side of the motor. I used the shrink wrap that you cut and put over the connectors

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonmd13 View Post
    These same connectors were the one under the side of the motor. I used the shrink wrap that you cut and put over the connectors
    Well, it will work, for a while. How long I cannot say.

I presume the exposed connections were in water under the engine, so there is probably some water still soaked into the wire inside those connectors. Regular heat shrink tube does not have an adhesive coating on the inside, so it can be hit and miss as to whether every single connection is now 100% water tight.

The heat shrink approach might work fine, or you might have wire corrosion that will eventually cause trouble. I cannot say how long it might last. Could be years, or weeks :

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information