Another pump/bearing question on an 08 stx15f

I have an 08 stx15f with 47 hours -freshwater since new, I just pulled the pump just to make sure the bearings are okay and the rear tail cone off. The shaft and impeller spin real smooth and looks like no water has gotten in at all, but when you spin the shaft the whole rear bearing spins-I mean the outside of the bearing spins as well. You can put your finger on the outside and hold it. Shouldn't that outer part be seated in there and not move? Or does it seat when under load? The shaft has no play whatsoever it's just this rear bearing is moving in the case. The impeller looks like new without any dings and the pump lining has a few small scratches hardly worth mentioning. What is my next move here?take the pump to my dealer and have them look at it or is this the way these are supposed to be. Does the tail cone butt up against that bearing and hold the outside of it still?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Make sure it's pressed all the way in. The outer race of the bearing should not spin.

Sean

I just brought a new pump for my 250x and the rear bearing also spins, i have noticed this on my older pumps too, seems like they are made alittle loose. No biggy, I just slide the bearing in with some Loctite to hold the outter race.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Make sure it's pressed all the way in. The outer race of the bearing should not spin.

Sean
    That's just the way Kawi rear bearings are, they dont have any real load to speak of, just assemble and forget about it

Every new, old kawi pump I have overhauled in the last 5 years has been the same and not once has it ever caused a drama,

Waz

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Interesting, on my 12f and stock 250x and 300 spec 250x I did not have any play. Trust Warren, he knows what he is talking about.

Sean

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Interesting, on my 12f and stock 250x and 300 spec 250x I did not have any play. Trust Warren, he knows what he is talking about.

Sean
    as you will notice in the Kawi manuals, they dont refer to the use of a press to remove the shaft from the pump after you have removed the prop , this is why the rear bearing is a soft fit, when the pump is colder it becomes ever so slightly tighter and thats why on NEW assy you will get the odd set that dont spin , but after min run time it will be free ,all 3 of my 300x's have been same as all the 250's etc I work on

Waz

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I always put some red Loctite on that bearing before install..I don't like the fact that the outer race can spin against the aluminum housing...nothing good can come of that, but I expect during actual operation the thrust is holding the bearing races where they should be.

+1
    Outer race of this bearing should not spin, when I replaced mine I had to use a hammer to remove & a vise to press the new one in, it isn't as tight as the bearing(s) next to the impeller, but still should be snug.

Thread Information