+1

New to me '01 SLX, will not start, started and ran 2 weeks ago.

I recently picked up my 01 SLX. It started and ran just fine when I picked it up two weeks ago. One of the bunks on the trailer needed replaced, so I put it in at the local river and beached it while I did the repairs to the trailer. I figured I would start it up and ride on the trailer. I could not get it to start. The lanyard was in, the gas was turned on. I couldn't find a primer pump of any kind. I wasn't paying close attention when the seller started it. Is there something I am missing? I cranked it for about 30 seconds. Am I missing something? I put a new battery in it last weekend.

The Weed Eater is the only 2 stroke experience I have, on a 4 stroke I would give it a shot of ether, is this safe? The plugs are slightly oily, I wiped clean and verified spark, they look a nice brown color, not black. Any ideas? Please help!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    My first suspicion is that the battery weakened while it was sitting. These engines need a really strong battery or there will be no spark.

Put a new or known to be VERY strong battery in, see if it starts.

The recommended battery type is factory sealed AGM for maximum starting power and long battery life.

+1
    Do you have any more specific battery info you could give me, like specific brands and part numbers?

I went to a "battery store" and was given one of those old school lead acid batteries with a container full of acid in the box. I was told that AGMs weren't around in 2001, and that that was the only battery they carried that would fit it. They did "assemble" and charge the battery for me, but I would have rather taken an AGM.

I would like to assume that a brand new battery would be strong, but, could I get away with jump starting the ski off of the truck to see if that is the problem, or would that cause damage? The only reason I changed the battery that was in it was because it had 3-23-07 written on the side in permanent marker and a six year old Evil-Mart battery does not give me warm fuzzy feelings.

+1
    You can jump it from your truck but your truck SHOLD NOT be running when you do so. only jump it off the truck if the truck is off,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Do you have any more specific battery info you could give me, like specific brands and part numbers?

I went to a "battery store" and was given one of those old school lead acid batteries with a container full of acid in the box. I was told that AGMs weren't around in 2001, and that that was the only battery they carried that would fit it. They did "assemble" and charge the battery for me, but I would have rather taken an AGM.

I would like to assume that a brand new battery would be strong, but, could I get away with jump starting the ski off of the truck to see if that is the problem, or would that cause damage? The only reason I changed the battery that was in it was because it had 3-23-07 written on the side in permanent marker and a six year old Evil-Mart battery does not give me warm fuzzy feelings.
    If you need to charge the PWC battery and are nowhere near an electric outlet, you can remove the battery from the watercraft. Connect it to your truck battery, and run the truck engine. The truck will charge both batteries. If the watercraft battery is low, it will charge. Of course, it will take some time to charge.

We have encountered enough cases of electrical system damage after boosting from a car or truck that it is to be avoided. The common story is "I boosted the watercraft battery' and now the CDI, LR module, MFD or something else is toasted. Certainly it can be done successfully, but I wouldn't do it.

The AGM batteries work very well in these watercraft. I prefer the factory sealed, ready to use type such as the Deka ETX16LM. Another good choice is the Odyssey 625.

I suggest you find a better 'battery store'. If they cannot supply a proper powersports AGM battery, something is not right.

AGM online battery sources include;
    Battery Deal - AC Delco Motorcycle and Powersports Batteries 50% Off @ Amazon

http://www.watcon.com/Catalog_Pages/Batteries.htm

Note: New batteries sometimes are not '100% good'. It is also possible there is something in the watercraft that is draining the battery. The most likely suspect is the LR module, if there is a battery drain happening.

+1
    Thanks! Looks like I have another project to add to the list now.

I was looking through the Polaris parts catalog on line looking up a battery strap and found out I am missing the battery tray. I also found it is no longer available, so I'll see if I can track one down or make one. Will the battery (current lead acid) sitting in the ski for long periods out of level cause problems?

Does anybody know where I can download the owner's manual to this ski?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Thanks! Looks like I have another project to add to the list now.

I was looking through the Polaris parts catalog on line looking up a battery strap and found out I am missing the battery tray. I also found it is no longer available, so I'll see if I can track one down or make one. Will the battery (current lead acid) sitting in the ski for long periods out of level cause problems?

Does anybody know where I can download the owner's manual to this ski?
    Yet another reason lead-acid batteries are deprecated, they want to be stored upright. When angled steeply a portion of the lead plates can be out of the liquid, exposed to the air inside the battery. This tends to degrade the battery plates.

AGM batteries do not care what orientation they are used in.

If you spend enough time reading and clinking through the links in my signature, you will find most of the information you need. Start here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

If you spend enough time reading and clinking through the links in my signature, you will find most of the information you need. Start here.
    Its the information I don't know that I need that I'm worried about

Thread Information