Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Just bought 1994 701 Waveraider, won't start, no fuel to carb.

I'm ignorant to 2-stroke PWC specific mechanicing, but understand that fuel is necessary That's my problem. Will run on gas poured down the carb and run great. Oil injection is injecting oil, the fuel return line will dribble fuel and will keep the ski running if you pull it off the tank and let it drain into the carbs, but I'm not sure how to ride like that.

Any suggestions on where to start? Pulled lines at every point I could see to pull em and blew/sucked and all seem clear. According to previous owner (painfully honest people) that they ran it 2 weeks ago, purred like a kitten, and then they ran it out of gas and here we are. Put a new fuel filter on...is there anything other than that inline filter?

+1
    Do you have the fuel petcock in the ON or RESERVE position...I assume you've tried both?
    You may just need to get the fuel lines, filter, and carb(s) refilled with gas to get the pumps to prime. If that doesn't work, then you might need to rebuild the carb(s). The fuel pump is built into the carb(s).

+1
    There are small filters internal to the carbs, when run low on fuel you may have sucked some debris in them and restricted fuel. Probably need to rebuild carbs if the fuel lines going to carbs have fuel in them. The fuel coming out the return line indicates gas is getting to carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Do you have the fuel petcock in the ON or RESERVE position...I assume you've tried both?
    You may just need to get the fuel lines, filter, and carb(s) refilled with gas to get the pumps to prime. If that doesn't work, then you might need to rebuild the carb(s). The fuel pump is built into the carb(s).
    Tried both positions. Have primed the lines with a vacuum pump by pulling the fuel line right at the carb, getting fuel flowing using the vacuum pump until I was sucking it out of the line, then putting it onto the carb...no dice.

Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    There are small filters internal to the carbs, when run low on fuel you may have sucked some debris in them and restricted fuel. Probably need to rebuild carbs if the fuel lines going to carbs have fuel in them. The fuel coming out the return line indicates gas is getting to carbs.
    Since I'm seeing 'rebuild the carbs' as a recurring theme, is there anything else it could potentially be? I'd prefer to make one parts order. Reeds? When you dump fuel into the carbs, it sounds like it is running fine...just doesn't want to pull fuel there on its own. I even pulled the line from the carb, stuck into a gas can full of fuel and got nothing, so I'd say the problem is the carbs, but as I've said, I'm not mechanically ignorant, but this would be my first 2stroke watercraft engine, so tell me if I'm missing something.

Any carb rebuild kits better than others? Any jets/needles/etc that need to be ordered above and beyond a standard rebuild kit? Ski isn't new/perfect, so anything that will get me riding and last through the summer would be just fine by me.

+1
    We suggest only using Genuine Mikuni rebuild kits. They don't come with needle/seat, so you'll have to order those also if you need them. And you'll also need the gasket between the carbs and intake manifold. And you'll need a pop-off tester or you can make one.

2 "genuine Mikuni" kits on the way, and new needles and seats, and an oil injection block-off plate. 40:1 the correct ratio once injection is removed?

If the skis been sitting I'd clean the fuel selector while u where at it as they tend to get gummed up also.id pull the fuel line in see if ur getting gas to the carb.even suck in the line if u have to. Just watch out for a mouth full. Some times the pick up lines like to fall off, also there's a one way check valve on top of the gas tank blow in it to make sure the gas tanks holding pressure and not coming back out that one way valve u should be able to blow in but not suck out if u can suck out replace it. If none of them are the problems rebuild the carbs but these are some things u can do to see if it'd carb related but its still good idea to clean the carbs.

Dual 38s are the carbs u have on the ski

Check your (2) pulse lines also. You could have a fuel delivery problem to the carbs if they're leaking. Make sure they haven't deteriorated over time with a crack or hole and make sure both ends have good seals with clamps or ties. I think you have (1) pulse line routed from each carb down to the front and rear of the engine block.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch-2012 View Post
    Check your (2) pulse lines also. You could have a fuel delivery problem to the carbs if they're leaking. Make sure they haven't deteriorated over time with a crack or hole and make sure both ends have good seals with clamps or ties. I think you have (1) pulse line routed from each carb down to the front and rear of the engine block.

I only saw/checked one (rear) but I didn't look too terribly hard and haven't yet pulled the carbs. I'll know for sure then.

+1
    I'll tell you what your problem is with a 99.9% certainty: needles and seats are stuck! I went through the exact same thing with my '94 Raider 13 years ago. This was back in the days before I knew what fuel stabilizer was. My ski sat unused for 3 summers and when I finally went to bring it out of it's hibernation, it would only run on the gasoline that I dribbled down the carbs.

I pulled both carbs and the needles and seats were practically glued together! They were very difficult to pull apart. I cleaned all the parts very well and reassembled everything. The ski ran like a champ after that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information