2002 virage 800 "cold natured"?

Bought my first ski, used, couple seasons ago, first summer I broke it out, would start and die, start run, but would be sluggish to accelerate, after going in circles and warming up, would run like a striped ape! Got it out this year, waters still cold, but again, after start, and smoke from the fogging last fall, was cold natured again, got it up to 30mph, but was windy out on water, didnt go any faster, is this common? ps put new plugs in it, last late summer, new on the board here, any Grand lake of the cherokees Oklahoma riders here?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Do you have the correct spark plugs installed? Must be NGK PZFR6H, no substitutes.

The fuel injected Ficht engine should be easy to start, hot or cold. It should be happy to run after just a minute or two of warm up, and even when cold it should be responsive.

Since yours is not running well when cold, there is something wrong. The very first thing I would do is install a new TPS on the throttle body. These are known to fail and can cause all sorts of symptoms.

Yes, they are NGK plugs, but will make sure they have that serial number on plug, TPS is throttle position sensor I assume? They very hard to buy or find? Thanks.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by elk river rascal View Post
    Yes, they are NGK plugs, but will make sure they have that serial number on plug, TPS is throttle position sensor I assume? They very hard to buy or find? Thanks.
    Correct, TPS is Throttle Position Sensor

There are a number of online suppliers that can provide the correct TPS. Polaris has revised and updated the TPS, so you really do want to buy new, not used. A used TPS might work OK, but the new ones are guaranteed to be good. I believe the correct Polaris part number is 2202740

This does not mean the TPS is the only possible cause, but it is certainly one of the less expensive and easier things to do. Even if your old TPS is still OK, it is always a good idea to have a spare on hand. When a TPS goes bad, there is no working around it. It must be replaced.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/atta...2&d=1216237486

+1
    I may have a good TPS if you find that you need one.

Thread Information