Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Way To Repair Hull

Hi everyone, I have a couple of questions for everyone. I recently got a 92 Yamaha 650(I know this isnt the Yamaha forum but everyone here has been so helpful with my Polaris ski, plus it doesn't seem like the Yamaha forum is getting much traffic which = no responses) Anyways I got this ski for only $75, the engine starts right up and everything seems excellent except for the hull. It has a pretty bad crack/ hole in the back. My question is what is the best way to repair this? Also how do I determine if it is the smc fiberglass or the traditional fiberglass which I believe is polyester? Im thinking it is smc and in that case I think i would need to use epoxy correct? Thanks everyone!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG957639.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	297604

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG956500.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	297607

Banned User
    +1
    Of you use epoxy it doesn't matter is its polyester or SMC, it will work with either.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbizub View Post
    ... 92 Yamaha 650 ... how do I determine if it is the smc fiberglass or the traditional fiberglass which I believe is polyester?
    SMC hulls are molded in a press. If the inside of the hull is very smooth and/or has molded ribs, it is likely to be SMC.

Traditional fiberglass hulls are rather rough surface on the inside.

If you can find a service manual or specifications for that year and model of Yamaha, that should specify the hull material.

+1
    If I remember right Its a fiberglass hull, first off you will have to take a grinder and clean that gouge up and beveling it out like a V angle on the gouge edges, dont need to take alot off of it, then, by taking a dremmel you need to bevel out all the cracks into a V . 1/4" deep X 1/2" wide
    looks as if you have layer speration, you will have to cut all the layers out that have delaminated them selves as well,
    next you need to get access to that from the inside, you will have to sand that area down on the inside with 120grit and clean up gouge with grinder or dremmel. sand area of 10 to 12" inches in all directions around hole, clean up with acetone,
    Walmart sells fiberglass polly resin by the quart and Woven fiberglass sheet, do not use the fiberglass Mat, also get a quart of Bondoglass and applicator/putty knife,

cut your first woven sheet so it exactly fits from the step to the step and 12" total long, for 6" up the transom and 6" down the hull, cut another peice 1 " smaller and another again 1 " smaller your going to layer this in 3 sheets thick, you do not want to go any bigger then from step to step, if you try with a single sheet you will have multiple corners and your glass sheet will not lay right and you will get air bubbles, so only work with 1 bend at the hull to transom,
    tape off out side hull/hole, fallow mixing directions for resin and hardener, mix very well and only mix a half cup at a time, apply good layer of resin with a 2" brush, apply glass sheet and brush out with more resin, apply 2nd sheet then 3rd same way, work the brush to take out all air pockets also with a dabbing of the brush one sheet/layer at a time,

when you have gotten this far let us know.

Ok thanks Ill have to take a closer look at the hull. I have a manual ordered but it didnt come yet. Do you have any recommendations on how to repair that corner area. If it was anywhere else on the hull it would be much easier but the corner is going to be pain haha. Thanks

+1
    I think it was in 94 they started with composite hulls

Sorry caliburn when I replied your post wast up yet. It looks like you prob hit the reply button a second before me haha. How come I shouldn't use the mat? Thanks for all the info!!

+1
    Harder to work with and not as strong as the woven when they are layered like suggested,
    Last edited by K447; 04-09-2013 at 05:44 PM.

If I make it a total of 12in in length what with should I cut the sheet? Also If I am understanding correctly I should only have one layer make the bend from the bottom of the hull up to the side? Thanks again!

+1
    A sharp pair of sicssors or box knife on cardboard, first sheet cut to length 12" long , wide from step to lower step, place in to fit flush, one bend at hull to transom is all you want, 2nd sheet 1" smaller in diameter, 3rd 1" smaller then last.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information