Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wet suits.

+1

Wet suits.

Ok so I've been searching for answers about wet suits but they are hard to find. I know everyone that uses them has their preference on the brand, but what I really need to know is:

1) What temps require what type of wet suit?
    2) What temps for gloves
    3) " " " foot ware.
    4) Should I purchase diff products for diff temps?

I know with my ski that water temps below 50 is a no no, but what do I need for riding in 50 to 60 degree waters, or temps in the 60's?

Never needed to worry about this stuff when I had my boats. I really need to get out on the water but I need to be prepared first.

Thanks in advance

+1
    You could probably get away with a full 3/2 suit and 5 mm boots. Technically you could wear those boots all season but I switch to a lighter water shoe in the summer. I have a full 5/4 suit that's rated for water down to 40F. I bought a neck entry suit but would recommend a back zip instead as its easier to get in/out of and unless you stay submerged for extended periods of time you will not experience any cold water intrusion through the zipper (the only reason neck entry is better). I also know guys who ride in a suit all season. In the summer it actually can keep you cooler and protect you from the sun. Mine comes off around mid to late May.

As for the gloves, I have a pair of 5mm that I have worn a few times and they do help but are kinda restrictive so they only come out when its chilly.

+1
    I suggest you visit your local dive shop and inquire about mm vs. temps. You may get diff. opinions based on currents and lat/long locations. Regardless of thickness, I suggest a shorty/farmer john set up. Either is great on their own yet are made to be worn in combo. In a differing opinion, I strongly suggest against a suit w/a zipper on the back. It's no problem until the zipper breaks - I once spent the better part of a dive trip helping my dive buddy "dress/undress" when his lanyard broke off the zipper. Real PITA that trip.

Gloves & boots are tricky - although a little bulky, but light, I favor the 5.10 Canyoneer boots. Worn in conjunction w/neoprene socks, these boots were made for hiking in cold, wet environments: This means they're light, rugged, warm, and drain. The soles are made of "stealth rubber" and offer great traction on wet decks/rocks. I've had mine for 7 years now and I'm just thinking of retiring them. I'm considering the 5.10 Water Tennie as a replacement: http://fiveten.com/products/outdoor/amphibious

Another forum member friend of mine just got a new pair of Canyoneers. He found them on Amazon (I think) at about 25% off the 5.10 website price.

+1
    i wear a body glove wet suit. Its long sleeve and legs and i think its 3mm i use it for cold water. I wear jet tribe rs-15 gloves and i go barefoot lol. Something bout fat dudes and wetsuits that dont match up. My suit is snug waist up but i get a slight trickle of water up my legs whenever im in the water.....

+1
    I have a 3/2 full suit and 5 m boots and gloves. Works good. Anything above 50'f water temp and 55'f or so with some sun and it works pretty well for me. I just got my stuff at a surf shop in ocm.

If ur in Reston there a dive shop rite off 28 and wax pool in sterling. They got a lot of suits there u can try on several get ur size but they are $$$

There's also another shop in chantilly rite by bungalos off of 50 across from pohanka

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    I use a full wetsuit year round in the ocean and would like to suggest anyone who rides offshore should consider doing the same. It is a matter of exposure and hypothermia if was in the water for any length of time.
    I use a full 3/2 suit (O'Neil) and have a tour coat (Jettribe) for the extra cool days. I wear Under Armor underneath it and never get chaffing.
    I like to use double layer gloves rather than thick ones for cold. OTB boots for the feet.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahayz250rider View Post
    If ur in Reston there a dive shop rite off 28 and wax pool in sterling. They got a lot of suits there u can try on several get ur size but they are $$$

There's also another shop in chantilly rite by bungalos off of 50 across from pohanka
    Just got back from the place in Sterling. Got a full 3/2 suit, gloves, and shoes from them. Should do the trick until it warms up.

Thank you to everyone for their input. It really did help

Robert

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    I use a full wetsuit year round in the ocean and would like to suggest anyone who rides offshore should consider doing the same. It is a matter of exposure and hypothermia if was in the water for any length of time.
    I use a full 3/2 suit (O'Neil) and have a tour coat (Jettribe) for the extra cool days. I wear Under Armor underneath it and never get chaffing.
    I like to use double layer gloves rather than thick ones for cold. OTB boots for the feet.

Absolutely, Rod nailed it. You need to plan whatever suit you get not for comfort, but for survival in cold water temps. If you should ever find yourself in the water for an extended period of time, its about survival, not what keeps you warm while you are on the seat. I have a 7mm full suit and boots, 5mm gloves and hood. Works great, and I have gone swimming in water that was in the low 40s in this setup. It gets a little warm when air temps get above 50, but then I just try and get wet to cool off. I am now riding in water that is barely above freezing. But I am safe from exposure should I fall in.

full 3/2 all ya need

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information