99 slt 700 ignition update?

My stator is readings are all funked up.

stator purple - stator black. required 1200 OHMS actual is 7.4 OHMS.
    stator gray - stator black required 88 or 138 OHMS actual is 84.

stator red/purple to yellow required .75 actual .6
    stator red/purple to ground required no continuity actual 120.
    stator yellow to ground required no continuity actual 130.

I think these readings tell a story of a dead grounded stator.

Should I replace stator or the whole mess?

Looking at the Hurricane update kit 2873022

Which I can not locate.

The gen three kit. I don't know how involved the wiring get's, but I need some advice.

Tagging K447. Been reading his posts for the past couple days. Knowledgeable dude...

+1
    I have a 700 Update kit... its not for the hurricane...if your intersted

Banned User
    +1
    The Hurricane kit is better. The 4010448 CDI has a little hotter timing. EIther would work though

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    The Hurricane kit is better. The 4010448 CDI has a little hotter timing. EIther would work though
    Yup hotter timing but harder to find.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger View Post
    Tagging K447. Been reading his posts for the past couple days. Knowledgeable dude...
    All these readings were taken with the stator completely disconnected from everything else, correct? The stator can remain bolted in place, but the wire ends need to not be connected to other stuff while doing the ohm tests.

Also make sure your meter is actually accurate. A weak battery inside the meter or really cheap meter can provide misleading readings.

I have not checked recently, but some update kits were backordered last year.

For the red domestic 700cc two cylinder, either the Hurricane or the non-Hurricane Update Kit will work.

It is also possible to purchase a new Gen III stator, CDI and ignition coil, as separate pieces, but normally that costs more than the Kit. And requires the flywheel housing to also be switched to the newer style. The Update Kits are designed to fit the original flywheel housing grommet hole.

Domestic 700 is correct. I tested the lead wires in the electrical box. Do I need to remove the stator completely to test? Is there a better access point to test?

The purple and stator black OHM reading was completely out of whack.. Further leads me to being weary of wiring...

I've read it's possible to do this with the engine in the hull. Where does this land on the P.I.A. scale?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger View Post
    Domestic 700 is correct. I tested the lead wires in the electrical box. Do I need to remove the stator completely to test? Is there a better access point to test?

The purple and stator black OHM reading was completely out of whack.. Further leads me to being weary of wiring...

I've read it's possible to do this with the engine in the hull. Where does this land on the P.I.A. scale?
    Stator can be fully tested while still on the engine. Just need to disconnect all the stator wires from inside the electrical box (disconnect battery first, of course), then do the ohm testing.

The SLT hull should have a fair amount of room on front of the flywheel housing. Still somewhat awkward working down inside the hull, but everything on a watercraft is like that

The hardest part of the whole job is getting the flywheel off. Some are really hard to remove and require huge torque on the flywheel puller. If you have a good quality flywheel puller and things lean in your favour, it might come off with only minor league swearing.

The guys who do this often seem to prefer pulling the engine out of the hull, then attack the flywheel with the engine on a workbench.

There are several threads around describing some tips and tricks to make it easier. See the 'rope trick' for holding the crank shaft still.

update kit slt 700 -97

Quote Originally Posted by Drkvampire2001 View Post
    I have a 700 Update kit... its not for the hurricane...if your intersted
    hi
    I'm new in this forum.
    I have 1997 polaris slt 700 with bad stator (original)
    I need new stator or ignition update kit. so do you still have spare update kit?
    Or can someone help me to find "new" working original stator, or cheap update kit?

Thread Information