Thread: Vxr oil change

+1

Vxr oil change

Just wanted to inform riders of the vxr that the oil filter the yamaha offers is steep and the fram, purolator , or wix filters fits just fine. I did a cross reference at advanced auto parts.

+1
    When I posted this a year ago , I was told " just spend the extra money and buy the factory one, you only do it once a year" lol I use a napa filter

+1
    Well as you can tell from the milky oil on the right one, I have to change it like 5 times to clear it out

This information falls into the "good to know" category. But if have a non OEM oil filter on your Ski and you needed some Warranty Related work, I think they could mess with you. Maybe, maybe not. The extra few dollars for the OEM filter can be viewed as "cheap insurance". Good luck if you ever had to face a team of Corporate Yamaha Attys. Not saying I agree, but it is what it is. JB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    Well as you can tell from the milky oil on the right one, I have to change it like 5 times to clear it out
    Er, why do you have milky oil? That's not normal...

Also, ever looked at the inside of a Yamaha filter vs aftermarket? BIG difference. I'll spend the extra and go with the factory filter.

6. +1 by:

+1
    does Yamaha actually produce their own oil filters or do they just have their label on a 3rd partys product? In the video, the tech said that his engineers actually designed the filter. My point is many companies dont produce everything that their name is on .........Yamalube is not produced by yamaha.....Yamaha is not an oil and gas operator therefore the gov. doesnt allow them to drill or do any subsurface production work.......Just as Castrol Oil is not produced by castrol but rather by BP!

+1
    Yamaha does indeed produce or have the filters produced to their specs, but I know what you mean. In the automotive world, most manufacturers have their name put on 3rd-party filters (Some Honda filters are rebranded Fram) that meet their specs. The PWC, and likely the motorcycle, market and manufacturers seem to be quite different, or at least Yamaha is. I'm not aware of an aftermarket filter for our skis that matches the Yamaha design or media type.

+1
    Flooded the engine that's why lol. But I have used the purolator and Fram one. After all is said and done I am switching everything to Mobil 1 synthetic and their filter. I use it in everything I own. Even the lawn mower.

+1
    Its a Denso filter and it is a quality piece, just pick it up, it is quite heavy for an oil filter. I agree totally with the above poster--- why risk warranty problems with a non approved filter. You are not changing filters that much, so I personally see no point in being cheap but to each his own. I spend way more money going out for ice cream and such with the kids.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bryantjopplin View Post
    Flooded the engine that's why lol. But I have used the purolator and Fram one. After all is said and done I am switching everything to Mobil 1 synthetic and their filter. I use it in everything I own. Even the lawn mower.
    I love Mobil 1, use it in my land-based vehicles however I'm on the fence when it comes to using it in our FXs. The manuals don't say that an FC-W-approved oil is required or anything about using a marine oil, so there probably isn't any issue with using Mobil 1. I would still stick with the Yamaha filter, though. But that's just me, Mobil 1 filters are great as well but I don't know how they compare to the Yamaha filter in terms of flow and micron rating.

Maintenance is cheaper than repairs, so saving like $10/yr on a filter doesn't seem worth it to me.

Thread Information