Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 370hp mods?

+1

370hp mods?

Guys, Im currently looking to sell my trusty Yamaha Exciter 270 and get into a Speedster 200. I know I absolutely want/need the 430hp model but Im seeing some 370hp models for real good prices. Right now Im at 61-62mph on my exciter and I told the wife that the next boat HAS to go 70+ what do I need to do to the 370hp model to get it past 70?

If I picked up the 430hp Model I had already planned on doing the ET127 wheel and 43# injectors. Ill build my only 4" cold air kit. still not sure on what impellers to get tho.. With that in mind can I still do those mods and just replace pistons in the 185hp motors? Is the 185hp blower that much different than the 215hp?

+1
    Make sure you ride in the boat before you buy it....The hull DOES NOT LIKE CHOPPY water!!!!!

I did a build where I took a 430 and turned it into a 510....Lots of power, props are a pain in the ass, lots of cavitation and then there is the handling....But like I said above, ride in it before you buy it....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Make sure you ride in the boat before you buy it....The hull DOES NOT LIKE CHOPPY water!!!!!

I did a build where I took a 430 and turned it into a 510....Lots of power, props are a pain in the ass, lots of cavitation and then there is the handling....But like I said above, ride in it before you buy it....
    I followed your build and you did some great work! Im hoping to follow Jstcdoit's footsteps and get a real trim setup to work. Im a mechanical engineer by trade and a fabricator in my spare time. Im hoping that will solve the bouncing issues. Ive rode in the 150 speedster with the 215hp engine and while I thought the ride was on par with my exciter the inital punch and top end speed was seriously lacking. Im willing to work through some ride issues to get the power, speed and looks of the speedster. If anyone out there is in middle TN and would like to meet up and go for a spin please let me know. I have never seen a speedster 200 on the lake nor do I know anyone with one....

What other jet boat with fairly mild mods can do 70!? I would love to have a Yamaha 212SS but they are just to slow and modding is almost non existent...

+1
    I agree, he is building an interesting trim setup..If you have the time and and the knowledge, then it may make a real nice boat..

+1
    Good luck getting past 70 mph with a speedster it can be done but at a cost. Like Tiny said the chop is going to kill your top end with it jumping out of the water all the time. I've owned both boats boats a 370hp. and a 430hp. Both boats are fast but the 430 has a better base line to start with. 430hp. has forged pistons so you will be safer to spin it faster and the flywheels are the correct ones to put xchargers or whatever style you choose.

+1
    So what does it take to bring the 370 up to par with the 430? flywheel and pistons? Also theres tons of differing reports some say the bouncing isnt bad and that adding trim tabs solves nealy all the bouning issues while others like Tiny say sell the boat its junk.... Its a light boat and I understand its not going to handle the chop like a 20' I/O but if adding trim tabs or better yet gettting the VTS working solved the bouncing what else is wrong with the boat?

Im a bit confused there are ppl on here that are saying they are getting 64-68mph stock? Is that not correct? I thoguht they were around 62mph stock and with mods getting to 70 wasnt THAT hard. If I got the 430hp model I thought adding a wheel, intercooler, injectors and a cold air kit would get me to 70? is that not true?

+1
    The best I saw was 68 after all the mods I did and it was a rough ride..Had to keep backing out of the throttle to keep it in the water...I have worked on several of these and they all do it. I may be over reacting to this problem, but if i wanted to break my kidneys everytime I go in the boat i would have one...

+1
    I dont think your over reacting its a valid problem. Lets say it is fixable with a trim system, what would it take to get a 370hp model up to the same level as the modded 430hp model? If its only about $3-4K It might be a very good option as you can find 370's for $10-$15K. Tiny, didnt you say your buddy was selling his? can you PM the info?

+1
    You would need to change the flywheels ,chargers to get close to the 430hp. Then you are still spinning lower rpm then 430 version so boost will be a little down also the 430 has internal intercoolers not sure how much they do they don't look to efficient. Most of the parts can probably be found used on here for pretty cheap. My 370hp. Boat was pretty impressive I wish I clocked a top end speed before I sold it.

+1
    i got a stock 215 intercooler layin around if you ever decide you need one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information